Hatch-Along - Setting eggs week of Feb 4th..anyone else?

:( :( :( That's terrible. Maybe they got trampled into the water... day 3 in the brooder and these 6 little girls* all run over to everything all at once, pushing and bumping each other....

*in my book all chicks are girls until proven otherwise...

I put glass beads into the water dish, they drink between them. But if there was a mob, that may not have helped. The hamster water bottle is probably the best bet. I may have to invest in one. I will switch them over to hanging bottles with chicken nipples soon, but making them is such a pain, and almost all of mine leak.... I have 7 more eggs in the hatcher, if they all come out I'll have 13 birds and several days between the older & younger groups...I'm going to have to separate them for a bit, probably with a chicken wire fence in the brooder so they can see each other.
I've got rocks in there now. I'm just devastated over this... I feel so guilty.

Someone tell me how I can test them... I candled.. and I can't tell anything, other than that I don't see any beak looking things at all.. just a dark mass and an air cell... :(

Could the janitor banging on the incubator during the first hatchings on Tuesday have killed 9 unhatched and unpipped chicks?

Someone tell me how I can test them... I candled.. and I can't tell anything, other than that I don't see any beak looking things at all.. just a dark mass and an air cell... :( 

Could the janitor banging on the incubator during the first hatchings on Tuesday have killed 9 unhatched and unpipped chicks?

I sure hope it wasnt because of her. I would have been furious to see her doing that!!! I hope you chewed her a new one!!! Do they wiggle when you watch them closely? I think that would be an easy way to tell if they are still alive.

Last edited:

I don't think so, there are a lot of other things that could have gone wrong.

It's rude, but I don't think it's deadly.

Last edited:
Sorry you lost a few...:0( it is sad. I thought I killed one before it hatched by cracking the shell and I felt awful. Funny it was the first to hatch...and the little booger is an escape artist. :0/ I have 5 total hatched since last night...3 cochin mix, an EE and OE.

I love all the baby pics
love.gif

I lost a chick yesterday also. I found it laying on its back not moving it was upseting. I didnt have much luck with my Cream Legbar eggs. I bought 6, 1 was infertile and 3 had bloodrings by day 8 only 2 hatched and they were both boys and then one died the next morning. So I am down to the 1 boy CCL and then my 4 other chicks that hatched with them. And I have 6 other eggs going into lockdown on Sun.

My 6 are doing well
and I put the other 7 in the hatcher about 12 hrs early since the others hatched on day 20. But this time, the hatcher refuses to hold humidity, which is really odd since it was perfect for the first hatchout.

woohoo! - One's pipped & one's out & wandering around.
They weren't supposed to hatch for two more days.

Quick rundown on my incubator:
I set 8 EE eggs & 2 are hatching. The others never developed.
There are 2 pure araucana eggs, & they don't look like they've developed, but they have a week to go.
The grocery store eggs haven't started pipping yet. But 9 of 12 have developed well.

The grocery store eggs are hatching! One's out & another has pipped.
I think I'll call this one Safeway... any ideas as to what breed it is? The egg carton said "Rock Island"... mebbe white rock???

I'm loving all of the chick pictures! As far as the Rock Island eggs go, I believe that someone else hatched that brand and ended up with leghorn crosses, but I'm not positive.

I was talking to my goose egg and it started rolling around!
big_smile.png
It hasn't internally pipped yet, but I know that the little guy is trying.

Back
Top Bottom