Hatched chick with head curved between legs *pics*

kayla_sayswa

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Western Wisconsin
This little guy was the first one to hatch and he seemed to always get his head 'stuck' somewhere - or so I thought. I did a quick snatch & grab to get him out of the incubator. It's now 24 hours laster and it turns out, he can't lift his neck upright and holds his head between his legs. Initially, he couldn't stand and would scoot backwards. Now, he is standing but still can't lift his head past about 30 degrees. I did see him get a drink (by accident because he backed himself onto the water).

I can lift his head for him, but it feels very tight.

Is there any hope for him? Should I try some "physical therapy" such as messaging his neck, gently stretching it upwards for him?

View from behind...you can see how much his head is tucked under him....

48806_chickenostrich2.jpg

side view - this is how he is when he stands - and he tends to walk backwards as a result.
48806_chickenostrich1.jpg

I had one hatch last week that did the same thing. Sometimes it would act normal for a few seconds and then it would put its head between its legs and run backwards. We kept messing with it and after about two days it started acting normal. Can't tell which one it is now. It blends in with the rest...

81479_img_0620.jpg

Its tendons and ligaments are probably just tight, I see it happen with calves. Just make sure it eats and drinks and if it doesn't improve within 48 hrs...start to worry. And don't worry about culling...give it a chance.

I had to post a follow up for anyone searching the forums and came across my original post. The chick is absolutely fine now. I can still tell which one it is, but it's getting harder and harder to pick him out. We named him (or her) Roly Poly Oly.

So don't give up on these little guys with floppy heads!

Back
Top Bottom