Hatchery Chicks & Pregnancy

rootandbloom

Chirping
Dec 16, 2023
Is there anything to be aware of here? I've ordered chicks from online hatcheries before but I placed my order and now I'm pregnant. Besides the obvious like salmonella and washing my hands, are there any other birdborne illnesses I need to worry about?

I'd brood them outside and away from the house, if at all possible, to keep fecal dust and dander down in your home. I wear muck boots into the coop that don't come inside. All I can suggest in addition to washing your hands is wearing a mask, and a mask AND goggles when you clean the coop.

Since you’re pregnant, take extra precautions. Wear a mask around the birds and have someone else take care of coop cleaning, food, water, etc (if possible). If you don’t have anybody to do that for you, refer to my first suggestion. Wash your clothes and shower when you’re done taking care of them, because the dust and bacteria from their environment stays on your clothes and skin. Congratulations!

I'd brood them outside and away from the house, if at all possible, to keep fecal dust and dander down in your home. I wear muck boots into the coop that don't come inside. All I can suggest in addition to washing your hands is wearing a mask, and a mask AND goggles when you clean the coop.
Thx. :) My husband always cleans the coop and litterboxes just in case (this is my 4th pregnancy; I do the horse stalls bc they're not as skanky) but I'll have to change the timing of my order then because they were arriving 2/1 and we were going to brood them in the laundry room like usual. I can probably brood them in the barn in April.

Back
Top Bottom