Hatchery Issues

Kraeuterelfe

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Hi!

On April 12th we ordered some ducklings at a small hatchery ($99), on April 29th we received an e-mail that the order has been completed by setting the eggs.

6 weeks later after hearing nothing from the hatchery, we asked very politely for an update, first no response, after the second e-mail they answered that it all would be in natures hands..., than we found an online post on their web page that our ducks are scheduled for shipping in June, June comes and goes, no ducks - no info from the hatchery, next e-mail inquiry by us...... hatchery response after again another approach:'too hot to ship', then we get scheduled for shipping in July.....guess what?....again too hot and a very unfriendly borderline rude response that they are not risking the health of the ducks because someone can not wait.

Seems like they pushed us now back into fall, because they are turning off their incubators for the yearly maintenance. And in fall than what?? Too cold to ship?

I sure do not want to risk the health of any animal but is it really asked to much to get better updates?
If it is too risky to send them from the East Coast to the West Coast, why not saying so to begin with, instead of pocketing the money?

Why sending an e-mail at the end of April that you can expect the birds end of Mai/beginning of June and than silence?

Would the lack of response not raise your suspicions as well?

What would you do? Try to cancel the order?
If I wait too long, my credit card company might not get my money back.

Any similar experiences?

Man, I'd have called my credit card company ages ago! Usually there's a 90-day deadline to file fraudulent claims. These guys screwed you.

I just filed a claim with Paypal after not getting birds I ordered from Strombergs. Order was placed 6/17 online requesting birds ship July 7th or later. Emailed them 7/7 got a call 7/8 saying birds would ship 7/9 and arrive 7/11. The birds did not arrive. I called and they said the birds were sold out for the year. I am still waiting for a refund.

Great, after digging a little bit deeper, I came across several people with similar complaints......

What's wrong with these hatcheries????

Last year it was the one in Oregon that screwed countless people over....

Great, after digging a little bit deeper, I came across several people with similar complaints......

What's wrong with these hatcheries????

Last year it was the one in Oregon that screwed countless people over....

I wish I knew. :/ I've been screwed over multiple times this year from online purchases.

Just talked to my cc company. They are posting the money back to my account in a couple of days.

Yes, the seller can dispute the cancellation but since I have proof that they did not fulfill their side of the deal, the cc company said it looked like a strong case to them and they do not expect any trouble.

According to the sellers web page, there are no refunds as soon as eggs are set.

Well, per their e-mail they were set at the end of April...........

Will post the outcome.

Thanks for your advice! ;-)

Can you post the name (or message me) so that others can look into it as well? It's nice to know who is trustworthy and who isn't.

I run a small waterfowl hatchery but that's why I no longer take deposits. I make lists of seriously interested people and then contact them when I know there are babies to send. It's much easier to keep track and that way if you have an "incubator issue" or the hens don't hatch as many as you expected, no one is out their $. And that way I can ship based on the weather. Sellers who keep in contact with their buyers when there's a change like that usually get a much better response! But I can understand why you were upset with your hatchery. I would've been too. It's one thing to delay it because of the weather. But then to continually not send them, update the website, then change their minds? It's not fair especially when you paid so far in advanced. You shouldve been placed at the top of the list or at least called when plans changed!

Just got an e-mail from the hatchery: 'Sadly your ducklings were to ship Monday, but you can consider your order officially canceled BY you'

I think, I rather pass ;-)

Good luck to everybody who is still waiting for his order!

Yes please post or message name of, here and an area on site for it too. too many small, and larger hatcheries do this. best place I've heard all around from friends etc, and gotten good birds of from those offspring is Murry McMurry, not that i haven't heard complaints on here though, and yes they do middle man from major great expensive two or three hatcheries, but you just get cheaper, so id consider good thing.

Back
Top Bottom