Hi! On April 12th we ordered some ducklings at a small hatchery ($99), on April 29th we received an e-mail that the order has been completed by setting the eggs. 6 weeks later after hearing nothing from the hatchery, we asked very politely for an update, first no response, after the second e-mail they answered that it all would be in natures hands..., than we found an online post on their web page that our ducks are scheduled for shipping in June, June comes and goes, no ducks - no info from the hatchery, next e-mail inquiry by us...... hatchery response after again another approach:'too hot to ship', then we get scheduled for shipping in July.....guess what?....again too hot and a very unfriendly borderline rude response that they are not risking the health of the ducks because someone can not wait. Seems like they pushed us now back into fall, because they are turning off their incubators for the yearly maintenance. And in fall than what?? Too cold to ship? I sure do not want to risk the health of any animal but is it really asked to much to get better updates? If it is too risky to send them from the East Coast to the West Coast, why not saying so to begin with, instead of pocketing the money? Why sending an e-mail at the end of April that you can expect the birds end of Mai/beginning of June and than silence? Would the lack of response not raise your suspicions as well? What would you do? Try to cancel the order? If I wait too long, my credit card company might not get my money back. Any similar experiences?