Hatchery Suggestions?

Nov 6, 2020
Midwest US
Hello!

We are planning on ordering some chicks in the spring, and are wondering what hatcheries people had the most success with?

Also, (I couldn't figure out which section to put this in) — what chicken/poultry and homestead magazines are worth subscribing to?

I've used Ideal Poultry a couple of times and have had good luck with them. Chicks are inexpensive and shipping is free, and they have a nice selection of chicks. The chicks I have received have been healthy from day one. The downsides are you have to buy $30 worth of chicks, so about 6-7 chicks, and they have a small order charge of $7. The chicks are packed nicely and I only lost one chick, but it was broiler and they are known to be fragile. Overall, Ideal is a pretty good hatchery, and I have saved a lot with the free shipping.

I’ve heard Ideal is a good one for chickens. For waterfowl Metzer would be my first choice(but then again I’m close enough to pick up birds there). If you’re thinking broilers, Welp is my first, last, and always choice. Healthy chicks, good growth rates, excellent prices.

Cackle hatchery and Murray McMurray.
Ive never ordered from anyone else .
Strong, healthy, high quality ( for hatchery birds) chicks.
20201113_094706.jpg
20201112_153253.jpg

Last edited:
Hello!

We are planning on ordering some chicks in the spring, and are wondering what hatcheries people had the most success with?

Also, (I couldn't figure out which section to put this in) — what chicken/poultry and homestead magazines are worth subscribing to?
i try to order from closest one to me and i even search on google maps to check..yes seriously! also depends on weather/time of year. also, i like to order in winter so they are laying by mid eo end summer. otherwise if they are 6mo in october some wont lay til the next spring! so i ordered mine from ideal to be sent 1/20 ....i use them alot. it depends also on what breeds i am looking for. they are more $$ this year and limited breeds. last year due to covid (which likely to still be an issue this spring)hatcheries all sold out and many feed stores did not sell til way late in season and then they had to be reserved. order early!!!! dont wait. you can schedule in spring but order now!!!

I've had good luck with My Pet Chicken and Murray McMurray. Our local feed store uses Ideal and the chicks look good from there too. I really only look at them though, I haven't purchased through them nor have I purchased from my feed store yet.

Hello!

If you're still looking for other just-in-case suggestions, I use Meyer hatchery and have had a great experience with them :)

Back
Top Bottom