Hatching chick, piped in a diff. spot than the others, leaked a clear yellow fluid, a little blood,A

@Pyxis , ok so I'm going to help when i think the yolk has absorbed, it piped mid day yesterday, it has its beak out of the shell breathing and sometimes moving, at what point do you think I should try to assist? Tonight, tomarrow?

When my banny was sitting on all of her eggs I kid you not, app of them pipped through the side like that and all made it out by themselves, I didn't assist in any way

@Pyxis , ok so I'm going to help when i think the yolk has absorbed, it piped mid day yesterday, it has its beak out of the shell breathing and sometimes moving, at what point do you think I should try to assist? Tonight, tomarrow?

I would at least moisten the membrane again tonight. You could also chip some of the shell from top of the fat end, like just what was over the air cell. And moisten the inner membrane, if it’s stuck to the chick. Then re-assess whether to go further or not. What ever you do, let the chick push out of the pointy end on its own. Don’t pull it out.

When my banny was sitting on all of her eggs I kid you not, app of them pipped through the side like that and all made it out by themselves, I didn't assist in any way

Many times the air cell dips much further than we think, especially under a broody, and the pip just looks low. It’s possible that they still hit the air cell.

I would at least moisten the membrane again tonight. You could also chip some of the shell from top of the fat end, like just what was over the air cell. And moisten the inner membrane, if it’s stuck to the chick. Then re-assess whether to go further or not. What ever you do, let the chick push out of the pointy end on its own. Don’t pull it out.
@WVduckchick , i will moisten the membrane but do you think it may be best to wait till morning and give it a little extra time to absorb the yolk.. or should I go ahead and zip the shell around the top and gently tear a hole in the membrane if no veins are visible? It has a hole in the membrane where it's beak is, it's getting air, could it harm it to wait till morning? I would HATE to do more harm than good if the yolk isn't absorbed or the veins not receaded..

@WVduckchick , i will moisten the membrane but do you think it may be best to wait till morning and give it a little extra time to absorb the yolk.. or should I go ahead and zip the shell around the top and gently tear a hole in the membrane if no veins are visible? It has a hole in the membrane where it's beak is, it's getting air, could it harm it to wait till morning? I would HATE to do more harm than good if the yolk isn't absorbed or the veins not receaded..

It’s kind of a toss up at this point. On the one hand, it could struggle, trying to get out and get more cemented in there and give up. On the other hand, going in too soon and having unabsorbed yolk is definitely not good either.

I think you will eventually have to help it progress, just because of the amount you have already done, it doesn’t have much leverage to push out on its own now. But if you can keep the membrane from sticking, then waiting till morning should be fine.

Hopefully the chick will guide you, with good activity and peeping should mean it’s still strong.

It it appears to be struggling, I would first go just as far as this pic. Check the membrane for active blood vessels before going any further.
WP_20170807_21_19_49_Pro_LI.jpg

@WVduckchick , I've done pretty good keeping the membrane moist, so I will moisten it again and if it's still moving it's beak and chirping leave it till morning to give it time to absorb the yolk and veins to recead. I am very fearful of it not being ready and doing more harm than good, and would rather give it extra time than too little, I would almost rather risk it dieing the way it is than causing a traumatic death. If it is getting weak I guess I will zip for it and make sure there are no veins and leave it in the bottom half of the shell. Ugh, y'all have alot of experience in hatching, wish y'all were here to help.

Back
Top Bottom