Hatching chicks and ducklings together?

OH MOST DEFINITELY.. OMG, YOU HAVE A CHOCOLATE???? OMG, DID YOU BUY THE EGGS? OR DO YOU HAVE ADULTS?

I WOULD BE SOOO INTERESTED IN BUYING SOME EGGS FROM YOU IF YOU HAVE THEM.. I just recently LOST all my chocolate calls, they all flew away. I'm hoping they come back but so far no luck..

I have adults. I have a pair of chocolate calls and one that's a grey mallard drake call duck. Plus I have one that I am unsure of what she is but she's beautiful and a cream color. She's also slightly smaller than my chocolate calls. Hopefully your calls will come home. I actually had a wild mallard drake fly into my yard this morning because he heard my ducks outside in the pen! It was amazing to see, and there was a female mallard with him but she didn't fly into yard.

Here is my chocolate call pair. In the third picture you can see the drake and the little cream colored one in front of the chocolates. Can you make out what breed she might be?

And my proud rooster standing guard over his ladies!

I have done that as well, I treated a hatching just as I did normally, opened it three times a day as if I was turning them during lockdown etc.... but I would not suggest any new comers this because of risk of carelessness. More experience hatchers, we have the knowledge to handle our errors or how to correct them.

Would the same method work for chicks "if I need to brake lockdown" ?

Last edited:
I just hatched some together, in fact! :D They did okay together, but the ducks hatch 7 days later than the chicks, so they were a little older, but that was not a problem, because the ducks hatch to be the same size! They just need to learn how to walk. My two ducklings are very sweet to each other, but the chicks would peck on them like crazy! I separated them out into different brooding areas, and they are doing much better. You may have to do so as well, and I recommend doing it. I have a friend that has them both as adults, and they are just fine together now! Hope I helped,

-ljmecham2001

Her are my 46 hen eggs and 3 duck eggs waiting to go in the incubator :)
(Sorry about blurryness)

Last edited:
Once you have it set to where you want it. LEAVE IT. the Humidity will go up higher as they hatch out, DON"T make any adjustments. Just let it go.. it doesn't stay high long so you don't have to stress over it..
Ok thankyou
I ended up hatching four right now. I have my adult female chocolate sitting on a nest of both chicken and duck eggs. They all like to lay their eggs in the same nests, odd behavior lol.
Ahah :lol: thats good :) how many is she still sitting on, and are u going to put them in a brooder or let her raise them :)
Here is my chocolate call pair. In the third picture you can see the drake and the little cream colored one in front of the chocolates. Can you make out what breed she might be? And my proud rooster standing guard over his ladies!
I would like one of those chocolate coloured call ducks, but i heard call ducks are very hard to hatch :/

She's sitting on about 12 duck eggs and 7-8 chicken eggs. When the chicks start hatching, I plan to take the duck eggs and put into incubator for remainder of time. From there they will go into the brooder. They can be hard to hatch from what I've heard but this is my first time hatching ducklings and I had no problem with them hatching.
big_smile.png

I just hatched some together, in fact!
big_smile.png
They did okay together, but the ducks hatch 7 days later than the chicks, so they were a little older, but that was not a problem, because the ducks hatch to be the same size! They just need to learn how to walk. My two ducklings are very sweet to each other, but the chicks would peck on them like crazy! I separated them out into different brooding areas, and they are doing much better. You may have to do so as well, and I recommend doing it. I have a friend that has them both as adults, and they are just fine together now! Hope I helped,

-ljmecham2001

Yes much help I am in my 19th day so I what to cover all ground that I can if something would to come up and I need to act fast.
Yes this is my first batch I have mostly chicks now as I didn't realize until yesterday that all my pekins are all females.
sad.png

This was my over sight but on the good side I bought 8 little pekins to get my flock up and hopefully get a drake I cant go wrong with 8 could u ?

Back
Top Bottom