1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by crazypetlady, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caj1985

caj1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Ratcliff, AR
    What do quail eggs taste like? I have access to Bob White. My neighbor raises them to train his bird dogs. As a matter of fact I put 20 in the incubator this morning just because I have never tried quail.

2. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    PP sent to AyeUpChuck for 3672. That was my eighth swap payment [​IMG]

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  3. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    They taste richer then chicken eggs, since the white to yolk ratio is different. I usually add a couple to my chicken eggs for omelettes and baking. My four year old will only eat quail eggs because he thinks they are "soo cute!"

4. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    I've never tried quail eggs but they sure sound yummy. Similar to the richness of a duck egg?

5. Sahwithchicks

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    Bobwhites are a little bigger then coturnix, like I have, but I assume they have a larger yolk ratio as well. I might get some bobwhites, however, they take almost as long to mature as chickens, though they lay longer then coturnix. I love the turn over rate on coturnix. 18 days to incubate (mine always seem to hatch on day 16) they are mature for eating or laying in 6 weeks. They lay pretty well everyday, though their laying period is only about a year. After that they slow down immensely.

6. Sahwithchicks

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    I've never had duck eggs but if it has a big yolk then probably!!

Average: 4-5 quail eggs equals 1 large chicken egg, but you get twice the yolk :)

7. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Quail eggs are wonderful! Also, if you have never tried them pickled you don't know what your missing!!!! Sometimes if we have company I'll have extra time and make tiny deviled eggs out of them. They are always a hit - especially with kids.

8. 9gerianMile

9gerianMile Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Western MT
    KYTinPusher- did I do 3? I thought one (the one with claiming Madamwlf's CCL and sending PP to kraftyladies) got undone. So I just claimed Hedemora from CPL and CCL from babymakes6, yes? Or did I miss someone and I owe someone else PP? >.<

9. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    The games sound like so much fun!
    CPL - I sent a PM but am thinking you didn't get it [​IMG], so I'm posting here. I'd like to donate a prize for the games. I can offer Basque eggs immediately or eggs from my Foley BLRW in spring. If you already have enough eggs lined up, I can either purchase a gift card to Brinsea (or GFF or open to suggestions) or I can just send a PP gift to you to be applied towards something you are already planning. Let me know what you need. Thanks! [​IMG]

10. kraftyladies

kraftyladies The Back Acres Farm

Apr 11, 2011
    Sunny North FL
    Ok,

I am officially at war with my chickens. One of my leghorns who is ugly as sin molting right now, has given me an egg the past 2 days. My BBS orps, my white orps, and a cpl of my Lav orps who are old enough, are just looking at me like I am crazy. The lights are going on. They have to start paying for themselves again!! Glad I have duck eggs to help out with the holiday baking... lazy hens...sheesh!!

On another note, one of the games I am working on is Chicken trivia for the NYE games /party. I need odd, weird, not so well known facts that you may know about chickens. Just know, that if you send me that bit of trivia, you can't answer it during the game!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by