Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opps haha I forgot some things. I edited my post. Add the eggs to the cool water, bring to boil, set timer, reduce to simmer. Remove eggs at end of timer and shock in ice bath until cold.

Here is a trick I learned in culinary school, and it has never failed me, even with fresh eggs. This is for standard large eggs. I used the same method for pain in the rear quail eggs only with a shorter time (think it was 4 minutes?)
Full pot with water. Add the eggs.
Bring to a boil, the moment it starts boiling, set a timer for 12 minutes. Reduce it to a simmer.
After 12 minutes, immediately remove from the store and put eggs in an ice bath (ice and water) until they are cold. Viola! Perfect cooked eggs. If you the overcook, there will be a greenish tiny to the outside of the yolk, or undercook- they will be harder to peel.
What do quail eggs taste like? I have access to Bob White. My neighbor raises them to train his bird dogs. As a matter of fact I put 20 in the incubator this morning just because I have never tried quail.

PP sent to AyeUpChuck for 3672. That was my eighth swap payment
woot.gif

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
They taste richer then chicken eggs, since the white to yolk ratio is different. I usually add a couple to my chicken eggs for omelettes and baking. My four year old will only eat quail eggs because he thinks they are "soo cute!"

Bobwhites are a little bigger then coturnix, like I have, but I assume they have a larger yolk ratio as well. I might get some bobwhites, however, they take almost as long to mature as chickens, though they lay longer then coturnix. I love the turn over rate on coturnix. 18 days to incubate (mine always seem to hatch on day 16) they are mature for eating or laying in 6 weeks. They lay pretty well everyday, though their laying period is only about a year. After that they slow down immensely.

I've never had duck eggs but if it has a big yolk then probably!!

Average: 4-5 quail eggs equals 1 large chicken egg, but you get twice the yolk :)

Quail eggs are wonderful! Also, if you have never tried them pickled you don't know what your missing!!!! Sometimes if we have company I'll have extra time and make tiny deviled eggs out of them. They are always a hit - especially with kids.

KYTinPusher- did I do 3? I thought one (the one with claiming Madamwlf's CCL and sending PP to kraftyladies) got undone. So I just claimed Hedemora from CPL and CCL from babymakes6, yes? Or did I miss someone and I owe someone else PP? >.<

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/724631/paypal-swap-new-year-eve-party-games-and-prizes

This is for the NYE party there will be games and prizes to go with the swapping.

4pm to midnight if you would like to donate a prize hatching eggs, gift cards, gift certificate to GFF. just PM me. kraftyladies is working on the games if you have an idea let her know.
The games sound like so much fun!
CPL - I sent a PM but am thinking you didn't get it
hu.gif
, so I'm posting here. I'd like to donate a prize for the games. I can offer Basque eggs immediately or eggs from my Foley BLRW in spring. If you already have enough eggs lined up, I can either purchase a gift card to Brinsea (or GFF or open to suggestions) or I can just send a PP gift to you to be applied towards something you are already planning. Let me know what you need. Thanks!
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom