Hatching Eggs

SBFChickenGirl

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2018
I want to hatch eggs for showing birds this year. Last year I put 42 eggs in the incubator, got out about twelve chicks. I did an eggtopsy afterwards and found 15 chicks still in the eggs, fully developed. I later found out this had to do with humidity. I've got a couple questions.

1. How do I measure the humidity on the eggs? (I have a thing on the incubator that checks it, and I kept it in the proper range last year.)
2. What are the right levels for humidity?

This question is more about the eggs themselves.
3. It's been below freezing for these past couple of weeks and will be until spring. Eggs are freezing or being kept "refrigerated". Is this good for the eggs and will it reduce the fertility in any way?

You don't actually check the humidity of the egg, just the relative humidity in the incubator itself.

In regards to the proper level, I followed this guide. It was suggested to mme by a few other members and has done me well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/

Not sure about your last question. I can break a sweat at 3 am in the middle of December just thinking to hard down here. ;)

Best of luck on your following hatches.

You should calibrate your humidity sensor. Hatching eggs should not be refrigerated or allowed to freeze. For early hatches it is best to collect eggs several times a day so that they are not excessively chilled. Store at room temperature in moderate humidity and generally start incubation within ten days of collection.

So I've been doing a little research and I realized my mistake. I meant air cells. How do I measure those and what are the right sizes?

Back
Top Bottom