Hatching Emergency !!!!

emmallaub

Chirping
Jun 20, 2017
I have some issues with some of my call ducklings -still hatching.-

First, one came out before the yolk fully absorbed and so I put it in a bowl and let it settle down before it completely ripped off the yolk. But, now everything is dry and a little strand is connecting his abdomen to the egg, and his belly has a small little red dot. I do not believe he fully absorbed it, and so he's going to need food and water soon, for he's been in the incu after hatching for over 12 hours. But I don't know how to disconnect him from the egg, and even though he isn't bleeding, the little red spot worries me.
What should I do?

Secondly, I have a call duck who wasn't positioned correctly and pipped off from the aircell. It did make the external pip and is breathing fine, but has only made a hole around its beak and the membrane opening is far smaller than the shell opening if that makes sense. I don't believe he will be able to hatch by himself just by the positioning, but he's still yawning and chewing so I'll stay put till the yolk is fully absorbed.
I'm just worried he will give up before I have the ability to help.

Any tips or help would be very much appreciated!

Update: The one pipped on the wrong egg seems to be moving a lot, but from his positioned he probably won't be able to get out by himself.

For the one that's still attached to the shell by the string I would very carefully cut the string about 1/4" away from the body and maybe put a drop of betadine on the red dot.

For the wrong-end pip I would seek the advise of @WVduckchick , @Pyxis, or @Ravynscroft.

It would also be helpful to see pictures.

The little guy that's out seems to be so anxious to join everyone else in the brooder. I just don't want to risk any bleeding from disconnecting him from the egg ;/.
It's okay to cut it if you can't see a vein in it, but I would leave it in the incubator until the red hole is no longer red because that is a good place for bacteria to enter, which could lead to an infection. Can you post a picture of it?

For the one that's still attached to the shell by the string I would very carefully cut the string about 1/4" away from the body and maybe put a drop of betadine on the red dot.

For the wrong-end pip I would seek the advise of @WVduckchick , @Pyxis, or @Ravynscroft.

It would also be helpful to see pictures.

Ah, thank you !! Once my phone is done updating, I'll post some photos.

It's okay to cut it if you can't see a vein in it, but I would leave it in the incubator until the red hole is no longer red because that is a good place for bacteria to enter, which could lead to an infection. Can you post a picture of it?

Attachments

• 642FEE14-CA0E-493E-BA81-1FC6B46B6B8C.jpeg
    642FEE14-CA0E-493E-BA81-1FC6B46B6B8C.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 25CC6EC7-F2CE-4109-875E-1DB463549662.jpeg
    25CC6EC7-F2CE-4109-875E-1DB463549662.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 15
The one with the string looks pretty good to me, so I think it might be okay to put it in the brooder.

So, he managed to get it off himself so I added some safe antibacterial and brought him into the brooder. But then a yellowish liquid started pouring from his abdomen. Like he seems fine, but I put him back in the incubator just so the other chicks wouldnt peck at him.

What is the liquid?

Back
Top Bottom