hatching geese eggs

Quote:
Not good news, it didn't make it to the evening, I checked and he still hadn't managed to pull his head up, air cell was an ok size too, don't think I could have done anything even if I'd have opened up the egg could I?

I've also got 2 eggs (batch 5 and 6 dewlaps) with air cells on the side, batch 5 has got 8 eggs due next Wednesday and batch 6 9 eggs due in 9 days so I'll be keeping busy, I guess we may need to help the hatch with the air cells on the side?

Sprout is doing ok, she quite chirpy, laid an egg and is still broody so it's very useful as it will keep her occupied while she is recovering plus she's now sitting on 2 indian runner eggs, 1 turkey egg and 1 dewlap egg, she did have 2 but I think I was being greedy as she's shoved it out, I just hope I can keep her infection free as she is missing skin from under her wing right down her left breast.

I am sorry your baby never hatched
hugs.gif

Everyone has such great/cute pictures. I am really hoping for this lil guy. I have 10 goose eggs but I really cant tell by candling if they are bad or not, unless its a completely detached air cell or something obvious.

So sorry your lil guy didnt make it, Mtacagni.
sad.png
I was really pulling for him with you saying he was moving around in there so much.

I can hear the clicking noise Pete talks about from this lil eggie. Is it usual for them to pip the shell but not the membrane? There is a pretty good hunk off on the side of the egg. About 1/2 or a bit less than dime size. No peeps yet.

Hope I dont drown my ducklings that havent pipped yet, I have the humidity pretty high, I looked and it was 74 when I misted in there and then went back down to 71.

Thanks all for pulling for me and sorry for the lil ones that didnt make it and happy happy for the ones that did.
smile.png

83374_p1010321.jpg

Here is a bigger pic of me and one of my German Shorthair's. Her name is Gracie. I have Raised and trained Shorthairs for about 20 years.

I hope everyone is doing well on there hatching. I was amazed on how well things went with my shipped eggs. Im now have ducks hatching. Do you guys want to see pics even though there ducks.

For fear of jinxing myself
hide.gif
I'm NOT going to tell you that I can see development in one of the first four Toulouse eggs that arrived with detached aircells, can't tell much about the other three as they seem to have had the goose treatment and are a bit stained but they do appear darker.
hu.gif

Morning All from another sunny day in England
cool.png

Firstly it was Buffbeauty who was correct in identifying the fertile eggs shown in post 481. Yes they're a clutch of Marginated Tortoises and here's a picture of Mum just completing egg laying. Well done Buffbeauty you've got an eye for unusual eggs
wink.png

80310_ship1_4-11.jpg
80310_tortfertile1.jpg

Marginated Torotise Laying and a very early tortoise embryo at 12 days incubation. There's very little difference in the appearence of this embryo than to a goose egg at 3-4 days incubation although the outer blood vessel circle would be larger.

Mtacagni - sorry to hear the egg didnt make it but even with sound incubation techniques there will be mortality rates. As the embryo had failed to move its head up into the hatching position there was very little that could be done. I see that you have some misplaced air cells and I know Buffbeauty also has some Dewlap eggs with detached air cells so I'll cover this shortly. I have my first egg due from my new Buff female and its at 28.5 days. The air cell size is OK and some slight shadowing at the back but no 'drawdown' of the aircell. Like yours the chick is failing to lift its head into the hatching position. As its an unknown female I'll have to hope her incubation period is a little longer BUT its overdue in commencing the hatching process
hmm.png

Alas - pity about the fostering plan not working and unusual as geese have such strong parenting urges. Looks like your goose wants her own family and I would stick to that now.

Bookerdog - Hey there, now I can see who Im chatting with
lol.png
Cool picture with your shorthair (the dog not you)! You've had an exceptional hatch rate with shipped eggs and any news on the other 6??? Sure post the duckling pcis, heck I've just posted a tortoise!! At least you're staying to the waterfowl theme
wink.png

Thndrdncr - Thats good news with your African egg. No its not unusual for them to externally pip without breaking the membrane. The fact you heard the clicking noise demonstrates the gosling has managed to break the inner membrane of the air cell and is drawing its oxygen from there. Did you make your hole in the membrane where the gosling pipped the piece of shell away? Yes time to up the humidity and gosling should be ready for hatching approx 24 -36 hours after external pipping. Your duck eggs should get be OK in the higher humidity but this is where a seperate hatcher becomes invaluable. As you only need a still air machine without any turning mechanism I find they can be picked up cheaply, especially on Ebay.

Better get on with answering some questions on abnormal air cells I guess
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
Morning Kassandra

WOW does that mean an embryo in at least one of them
lol.png
What day are they on now as I usually find the Dewlaps are obviously fertile by Day 6. However if you're incubating vertically the air cell can often obscure the view of the early embryo. Did you look at the Incubation Diary I did for Dewlaps as its got all the daily candling pictures
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Morning all. Sunny day here in Scotland too, loving it!

Little Kermit had his first swim yesterday - he hated every second of it! I think he will be a lot happier when he has some company. The ducks eggs have started to pip so it won't be long now hopefully.

16494_first_swim_008.jpg

16494_first_swim_009_2.jpg

Yes please to the duckling pics! I'll show you mine if you show me yours!
lol.png

Good luck with the tortoise eggs Pete, how cool!

Morning Highlander

They are such cute pictures of Kermit in the bath and looks like he/she is progressing well, looks so lively and alert
smile.png

Whats this - "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"
ep.gif

Yikes - am I on the right forum? I'll bet it all comes down to the dress code you Scottish folk have with your kilts
lau.gif

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom