Akeeley

Hatching
Jun 2, 2017
Hi!
I am having problems with my goose egg not sure breed think its a toulouse mix. At day 26 it started to chirp and move the egg around. At day 28 the air sack appeared to be gone when candling but it was still chirping and moving the egg. Now it is day 30 and it isn't chirping or moving the egg as much and still no pip. What do I do?!

I would make a small safety hole in the air cell. Use a small sharp screw or drill bit to make the hole. Open it just enough that you can see what's going on in there. I will always put in a safety hole after 24 hours since internal pip if the gosling hasn't externally pipped because there is danger of suffocation.

I have a bad feeling that it was unable to externally pip and may have suffocated if it's no longer peeping, but check before we assume it didn't make it, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

I would make a small safety hole in the air cell. Use a small sharp screw or drill bit to make the hole. Open it just enough that you can see what's going on in there. I will always put in a safety hole after 24 hours since internal pip if the gosling hasn't externally pipped because there is danger of suffocation.

I have a bad feeling that it was unable to externally pip and may have suffocated if it's no longer peeping, but check before we assume it didn't make it, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you so much for your response. I poked a hole in and it is still moving but was definitely internally pipped. The shell was very hard and thick, the membrane was dry... Humidity is 62%. Am I in for problems with the rest of my eggs or was it just a one time (hopefully) incident?

I am so glad it's still alive! Hopefully it's a one time thing. It may be badly positioned in the egg and so was unable to pip externally. If that's the case, you may need to do a full assist and actually help it hatch when the time comes. Give it 24 hours from the time you made the external pip and see if it makes any progress on its own. If not, you will need to start an assist.

Update*
The goose was upside down and backwards. Ended up doing a full assist and it is now out and moving around. Very weak but looking ok so far.

Back
Top Bottom