Hatching Sebastopols first time! Advice?

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
First time hatching I usually allow mother goose to do her work but have decided its time to try this out!

Okay so this is what I have done so far:

I have 6 eggs in the incubator just put them in today. 2/4/13

Temp: is set at a steady 99.0

I won't turn on the auto turner till tomorrow afternoon (24 hours)

I weighed all the eggs and recorded it.

I will be checking eggs on the 10th to see if any are viable.

Truly I think none our viable as my birds have mated maybe 4 times tops that I have seen. And we have been in the negatives for the last 3 weeks here in NW. So when offered a pool they have not wanted it of course who would! LOL! But my silly goose as decided to lay... crazy bird... Anyways maybe I will be lucky and might get one or 2 of out of this!

Either way this is good practice. As she is going to continue to lay here.

Now is 99.1 to high for Sebs? I am going off my Brinsea Octo 20 book....

Also do you keep the ventilation open half way the entire time? UGH! lol This will be for sure a good practice run :)

I set two Sebastopol eggs yesterday night at 7:00 am. Temp 100, water pan full, auto turner on. I'll be hand turning them 1X per day, starting today. I'm following Pete's hatching guide as best I can. Finger's crossed I have two healthy, Seb goslings at the first of March! I have my finger's crossed for your hatch, too. : )

I'll start the daily cooling/misting at day 7, I think that's what Pete said to do. : ) Getting nervous, I've never had good luck hatching goose eggs.

~ Aspen

Thanks Aspen, I have read over and over Petes hatching so more hoping I have some fertile eggs I will be checking next week to see if they are even viable! If not it was good practice to get in the swing of things here!

Aspen, I think 100 degrees is too high. Look at Pete's guide again. You want to do more of a dry incubating as you want to lose a total of 16% of the total weight by the I think 28 day.

It depends on whether the incubator has a fan. If it has a fan, then the temp should be 99.5. If it does not, then it should be 101.5.

Aspen, I think 100 degrees is too high. Look at Pete's guide again. You want to do more of a dry incubating as you want to lose a total of 16% of the total weight by the I think 28 day.
Thanks for the advice..I'll go see if I can lower my temperature. I'm using a Sportsman, which has a fan.
It depends on whether the incubator has a fan. If it has a fan, then the temp should be 99.5. If it does not, then it should be 101.5.

~ Aspen

Can someone tag the link to Pete's Hatching Guide for geese? I cannot seem to find it on my phone
hmm.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Back
Top Bottom