Have a a big problem been losing poults.

Mrjamz

Chirping
Feb 26, 2023
I think my poults have Coryza but not sure. I’ve tried to talk to the vet but he’s not a big chicken person. They have the swollen face and the gasp for air and it’s contagious. I have about 15 in quarantine. I gave them LA 200 two days ago and put the vet RX on nostrils and combs but still not better. Can’t get Tylan 50 without a prescription so wondering if Duramycin will work? If so how much per poult? The laying chickens still haven’t got it yet so I’m kinda curious to why on that any help would be appreciated

807D7A14-8FE3-4BE9-AB86-F4AB90FA0474.jpeg

Sorry, not that many people online on weekend. To my knowledge, chicken can get mycoplasma or MG, but not the exact bacteria that causes coryza. Tylosin soluble powder is found online without a prescription here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
That can treat MG, as well as tetracyclines. When an eyelid is that swollen with pus, it helps to try and gently squeeze out the pus from around the eye and the sinus cavity. Flushing the eye with saline and applying either Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store, or plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice daily is a good treatment. That and the oral antibiotic will help treat symptoms. MG is contagious and makes the chickens in your flock all possible carriers for life. Here are some videos to look at:

Thank you very much. Kinda freaking me out because it’s terrible seeing them like that without any idea of how to help.

I think my poults have Coryza but not sure. I’ve tried to talk to the vet but he’s not a big chicken person. They have the swollen face and the gasp for air and it’s contagious. I have about 15 in quarantine. I gave them LA 200 two days ago and put the vet RX on nostrils and combs but still not better. Can’t get Tylan 50 without a prescription so wondering if Duramycin will work? If so how much per poult? The laying chickens still haven’t got it yet so I’m kinda curious to why on that any help would be appreciated
Your saying poults, but do you mean pullets? (chickens)

Even if your vet is not a chicken person, he may be able to give you a script. Ask if you can send him photos through email.
If there's a bad odor, then I agree, it's likely Infectious Coryza, but sometimes Mycoplasma can also be at play. A sulfa antibiotic along with Tylan would be good if you can get it.

There's a lot of facial swelling, especially around the eye. You'll want to flush the eye with saline, push and press the pus from the eye/sinus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye to help with healing. No matter what antibiotic you use, if pus is not removed it won't heal.

Back
Top Bottom