Have a look, if you don’t mind.

CoffeeKat

Chirping
Jul 29, 2021
Southeast Tn
Good evening from TN, all.
A week ago we became the owners of a few hens. Now, this all came about by falling into my lap. I’d been considering chickens for some time and was drafting a 10 page proposal to my husband to sell him on the idea outlining costs, benefits, drawbacks, etc. (When I “do a thing,” I REALLY do a thing haha.)

I didn’t really see it happening based on the high cost of prefab coops or sheds and the time in my day to build one. This would be kind of my thing and I just can’t build one right now.

Long story short, my friend and fellow chicken owner plotted with her husband— who came to have this infamous PP sentinel coop in like new condition. She pitched the idea to me that perhaps this is great for my situation. So, for 150 USD, she was willing to sell it plus 3 hens (2 of which are yet to begin laying) and some start up stuff. To me, that was an ok deal and probably best case scenario in terms of spousal persuasion and our available space.

I have surmised that there are “feelings” about this coop in all directions and it’s certainly a well discussed coop.

Originally a 4th hen was to join my ranks, but I am holding off. My questions pertain to space issues and adding ventilation with this particular model.

Please see the attached photo.

1. Given the measurements of this coop, how exactly does the number of hens flex when they are given access to both the large run all day (this is not the final setup—fencing is temporary but the space will be the same when they are in their final
Place) and also access to our back yard?

i have seen two hens at most if having to stay in the coop, and as many as 4 when able to get out and around.

2. What has been most successful with this model in terms of offering ventilation to the girls?

3. what issues with predators do you find with this coop (those who have it) and what method did you use to prevent diggers? Our largest concern are raccoons, possums, and hawks. (I do have a netting over the run I made and plan to buy a nice aviary netting for the final setup)

One thread mentioned the coop area measures 32inches by 36inches.

chickens will be in the coop overnight only. The rest of the day they’ll be out in the pen and beyond to help us with bug control and vegetation control. Our yard is fully shaded all day.

Given this environment, am I able to add my 4th girl I had originally intended?

Coop link: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001

edit to add: also, anyone have an automatic opener on this sucker?

Attachments

• D43CB6CD-649F-4F07-999B-4549E84DFC19.jpeg
    D43CB6CD-649F-4F07-999B-4549E84DFC19.jpeg
    797.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
U got enoufh yard for 10 more especially if they free range rest of time, just gota add more roosting bars. They Realy only go in the actual coop when its time to lay. Ive got 22 or 23 in a yard twice that size. 25x25. , and 6 ducks in a 10x20 yard

Good evening from TN, all.
A week ago we became the owners of a few hens. Now, this all came about by falling into my lap. I’d been considering chickens for some time and was drafting a 10 page proposal to my husband to sell him on the idea outlining costs, benefits, drawbacks, etc. (When I “do a thing,” I REALLY do a thing haha.)

I didn’t really see it happening based on the high cost of prefab coops or sheds and the time in my day to build one. This would be kind of my thing and I just can’t build one right now.

Long story short, my friend and fellow chicken owner plotted with her husband— who came to have this infamous PP sentinel coop in like new condition. She pitched the idea to me that perhaps this is great for my situation. So, for 150 USD, she was willing to sell it plus 3 hens (2 of which are yet to begin laying) and some start up stuff. To me, that was an ok deal and probably best case scenario in terms of spousal persuasion and our available space.

I have surmised that there are “feelings” about this coop in all directions and it’s certainly a well discussed coop.

Originally a 4th hen was to join my ranks, but I am holding off. My questions pertain to space issues and adding ventilation with this particular model.

Please see the attached photo.

1. Given the measurements of this coop, how exactly does the number of hens flex when they are given access to both the large run all day (this is not the final setup—fencing is temporary but the space will be the same when they are in their final
Place) and also access to our back yard?

i have seen two hens at most if having to stay in the coop, and as many as 4 when able to get out and around.

2. What has been most successful with this model in terms of offering ventilation to the girls?

3. what issues with predators do you find with this coop (those who have it) and what method did you use to prevent diggers? Our largest concern are raccoons, possums, and hawks. (I do have a netting over the run I made and plan to buy a nice aviary netting for the final setup)

One thread mentioned the coop area measures 32inches by 36inches.

chickens will be in the coop overnight only. The rest of the day they’ll be out in the pen and beyond to help us with bug control and vegetation control. Our yard is fully shaded all day.

Given this environment, am I able to add my 4th girl I had originally intended?

Coop link: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001
I think you could

U got enoufh yard for 10 more especially if they free range rest of time, just gota add more roosting bars.
Absolutely not, the coop is 32"x 36". You cannot look only at the run space in determining how many chickens fit, especially during integration. Do some flocks tolerate tighter conditions? Yes. But it can also be a primary cause of behavioral problems.

OP: The coop as is is big enough for 2 standard size birds. Did you add any ventilation at all? From what I can remember, this coop doesn't come with a lot of ventilation as-is.

One thing you might want to consider is modifying the coop/mini run into a larger coop. To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

As far as predator proofing, looks like you have chicken wire right now? Hardware cloth or welded wire, no larger than 1/2", would be a better choice for protection. Adding an apron would help with any predators/pests digging in. Good example here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481100

I think they'll be fine during the day, but you could have issues with roosts at night while it's warm. I have six banties in a prefab about the same size as your friend's. I think 2 banties are usually considered equal to one standard for space planning.

Mine are pretty territorial about roosting space. I treat the entire coop and coop run as the coop. The three biggest banties sleep on a "long" roost (3.5') in the coop run. Two others, if they can sneak in, sleep on roosts in the upper level. The lowest ranking hen isn't allowed in either space, and sleeps on top of the chicken door on an attached branch. (The chicken door opens into a pretty secure pen and is open 24/7 right now.)

I will be adding on to mine (another 12-18 SF) before winter hits, and reconfiguring roosts, since they'll be inside more then. I think they'll need a bigger coop to be happy.

This is the one I have:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d

Alright. This is a good bit to consider. I’m going to take the above comments and mull them over.

Ideally building would’ve been best, but with lumber being so high, this hit a decent price point for us with all that was included.

That said I’m a fairly handy little cuss, so I’m likely to find ways to repurpose the run space below.

Regarding ventilation, yes it needs some added. We were giving the girls a trial run before we started hacking into the coop to see how it’d work out. We live in a subdivision with close neighbors and didn’t want to commit straight away. I’m open to hearing how one would go about adding it most effectively to this model.

thanks for the clarification all.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters. :)

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
If you want to see what you need for 4 chickens, my Little Monitor Coop was designed to meet all the minimums for 4 chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

We are East Tn. Warm humid summers. Mild winters. Maybe 1 snow a year if you want to call a dusting snow.

An Open Air coop -- essentially a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter at the end toward the winter winds -- would be perfect for that climate.

This is my current build: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

0722211018_HDR.jpg

And the coop in Texas that inspired it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/

It is, of course, possible to build this style on a much smaller scale. :)

Hoop coops might be a good option too.

Back
Top Bottom