Have to get rid of our chickens after one got killed.

Oh no way in h-e double toothpicks my husband would ever tell me to get rid of my chickens. Getting chickens was his idea, but the roosters crowing in the morning does bug him. We're building our 3rd coop right now. (2nd one doesn't really count, it's really small) You're going to lose some, it's just part of raising chickens. We have lost some to predators, like you did, but we've also lost a girl due to her flying into the coop and breaking her neck.

It sounds to me like he doesn't want them in the garage, and that is his irritation with them. (Men and the garage is my inner sanctum
roll.png
) Losing one is just an excuse. ETA: Buy a coop and get them out of the garage, but I wouldn't be getting rid of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compromise....Compromise....Compromise....

It seems to me that your husband just wants his garage back! Coops are not meant to be indoors! Heat buildup and no ventilation is causing the stink in your garage. From the pic you posted it seems to me that you have plenty on outdoor space. Move the coop about 20 feet away from garage and I bet you husband will be fine.

Jude

I have never met a man that said stuff like the OPs that didn't have his own EXPENSIVE hobbies like motorcycles, golf, bowling, etc....

Somehow it is OK for the man to spend thousands on himself and his toys, but if the wife spends a couple hundred he is telling her her hobby is a waste of money. I really don't get relationships like that at all.

Hubby and I each have a little bit of spending money each month we spend on whatever we want. I tend to spend it on gardening and duck stuff. Hubby buys tools. I don't dog his tools, he doesn't say anything about the ducks. Plus I get to use the tools to build stuff for the ducks and garden and he gets to eat stuff I make from having ducks and growing a garden.

Honestly, I think there's more to this than what's being said. The op said she's fine with getting rid of the chickens, Along with everybody else in the family, other than the 2 youngest. Doesn't sound like the husband should be getting bashed here. Disagree with me all you want, but if she really wanted the chickens I don't think she would have posted that she's fine with the situation... At least the birds already have a new home lined up and waiting... Sorry jmo
wink.png

image001Large.jpg

If my hubby ever told me something like this there would not be any more beer for him, compromise ,compromise compromise right

ep.gif

PS i would definitely get the coop out of the garage.

Last edited:
Is it possible that seeing the two younger daughters so upset is what made DH decide all chickens must go? Because he hates to see them upset? AND he wants the garage?

The slashed throat bothers me. Was it a human or an animal attack? Is a neighbor trying to make a point? Or a dog running loose?

It also bothers me that you have no real objection to getting rid of the chickens. Perhaps it's best that they go to another home. Chickens require a fair amount of care and it doesn't sound like anyone is willing to do the work involved in keeping a coop clean and fresh.

Since you have someone to take them and give you some of the eggs, I think re-homing is your best option. But do explain to DH that issuing ultimatums is NOT the way to have a happy marriage.

Back
Top Bottom