having chiggers and remaining sane...

Chiggers (we call 'em "redbugs" down here) don't like sulfur powder. Put it in a sock and dust it around your ankles, waist, sleeves.....just about everywhere....and they won't bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
lau.gif
No seriously...be very glad you don't know what a chigger is. They are tiny little blood sucking creatures that live in the middle and lower United States (and further south, too I am sure). They are found in the woods in grass, etc. They get on you and are so tiny you cant hardly see them. When they start biting you...that's when you know! Then it's too late! I think when they bite you they inject some substance under the skin that ITCHES LIKE MAD for days! Or maybe they actually burrow under your skin...I don't know, but I do know there is nothing else on God's green earth (at least here in the US) that will make you itch more than a chigger. The more you get on you, the more bites you have, the more you itch! There is another name for them also...redbug. Same critter, just different regional name. They are horrible! And I always manage to get in a patch somehow! If you spray your pants, socks and shoes with Deep Woods OFF! you might get by with out getting any on you.

and plus, they have poison... i think... and it spreads and it gets a GIANT bump on you, about 5 inches tall and 5 inches wide.
hmm.png

Ugh, chiggers. Hate them. Have to spray myself down with bug spray during the "growing seasons". Yuck. My best luck has been to use a serious amount of bug spray (OFF, etc). If I am going to be out a while and won't die of heat stroke, long pants tucked into my socks with a heavy layer of bug spray over both works well. LOL.

Can't wait for a few good freezes to kill those booogers off! I find chiggerX to work the best too.....for any kinds of bites. Take oral Benadryl and dab that on.......OR those bite pens. They work good too.

Quote:
I am so glad you asked because I had no idea
tongue.png

Yeah, they are a specifically southern treat. It's pretty much a rite of passage down here. Go to camp, get chiggar bit. Complain bitterly and drive your parents crazy until they wish they had never heard of that camp/retreat/fieldtrip. Itch like crazy for weeks and scratch your legs/unmentionable locations until they bleed. Wish desperately for amputation. Paint yourself with dabs of red nail polish. Complain some more. Repeat.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I am so glad you asked because I had no idea
tongue.png

Yeah, they are a specifically southern treat. It's pretty much a rite of passage down here. Go to camp, get chiggar bit. Complain bitterly and drive your parents crazy until they wish they had never heard of that camp/retreat/fieldtrip. Itch like crazy for weeks and scratch your legs/unmentionable locations until they bleed. Wish desperately for amputation. Paint yourself with dabs of red nail polish. Complain some more. Repeat.
barnie.gif

Wow good luck ! I hope you find a cure for the itch. I have had poison ivy and am very allergic so
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom