Having To sell Roosters

I only get to see my chickens on weekends and breaks.

So i just called my grandma and asked her about the rooaters.From what I hear complete terrified hens.The 3 young boys have gotten tons worse and all 4 young boys are sparring.So deciantly something new has to happen.Grandma also thinks Big Rex will soon start challenging Zeus and I hate for anyone to get hurt.

Banties still have the same hormones, and they don't offer much in the way of protection. They can be just as nasty. And they certainly will fight. Plus have to go through the maturation process. Please quit tempting yourself!
tongue.png

To be honest, your flock of girls will be happier without any harassment from the boys. I wouldn't keep any of them. But if you must, maybe keep Zeus since he is already mature and part o the flock. He probably knows how to take no for an answer already.
smile.png

With a user name like TheTwoRoos, maybe it is difficult for you to think about getting rid of them. But I know you want a happy and healthy flock and sometimes unfortunately we do have to make those difficult decision. Sometimes it isn't a matter of what we want but a choice between the lesser of the two evils.
hmm.png

You can do this! Start making plans for your other homes immediately. Post in Craigslist or at you LFS. Maybe on a message board if you're away at school.

I can tell you really do like roos and I don't blame you! I like my cockerels better than some of my girls. And it's true that if you make a stag pen you are just feeding a bunch of noisy free loaders...... But this IS your hobby, and if you can afford to why not? You can do alternating free range between the boys and the girls to avoid your current situation. But that may be asking a lot from Grams if she is the one caring for them.

Best wishes!
fl.gif

The RIR has to go.His roosterly switch flicked today and he looks like he could go for Zeus anytime now.The little BSL cockerel was crowing and he ran up behind and flogged,no reason at all...

Than he noticed Zeus mating and he tried to square up with him while he was on the hen,so he HAS TO GO.

The RIR has to go.His roosterly switch flicked today and he looks like he could go for Zeus anytime now.The little BSL cockerel was crowing and he ran up behind and flogged,no reason at all...

Than he noticed Zeus mating and he tried to square up with him while he was on the hen,so he HAS TO GO.
Sometimes the process of elimination reveals itself. It wasn't for no reason. Crowing is one of the ways they compete for the ladies.

But really it won't be long before each of them square off at this point. At first all they care about is mating. But before long they start to mature into protecting their right to mate.

Just go with the process and start getting rid of the birds as you decide. Sooner is better than later, in case they don't go as fast as you are hoping.

I only get to see my chickens on weekends and breaks.

So i just called my grandma and asked her about the rooaters.From what I hear complete terrified hens.The 3 young boys have gotten tons worse and all 4 young boys are sparring.So deciantly something new has to happen.

Perhaps it is time to remove ALL the males. For the sake of your pullets and hens as well as your grandmother. They shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of hormonal cockerels. You should make caring for them as easy as possible.

If that means some wind up as dinner, then take some consolation that at least they had a good life. Better than the vast majority of meat chickens.

Were selling three of the boys kept what "We" think is the best two boys.i noticed that the BSL acts nothing like he would if his brothers are around,he acts more like a rooster than a hormonal cockerel.

Yes,he has changed his nasty attitude towardsa few hens (I guess because their allowing him to mate again,IDK).

The BSL (Spots is his name),still has the urge to chase hens,but I'm sure Zeus is gonna Patch that problem up.

Back
Top Bottom