Hawk Attack today...

LittleChickenRacingTeam

On vacation
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Ontario, CANADA
I'm sitting at the computer when I hear one of my silkies squawk, & then the sound of a bucket being knocked over. This is kinda normal for this silkie, cause she is lowest on the pecking order, & the others take a poke at her now & then. When I look out the window, I see a red tail hawk in the tree 10 feet away, & it has white feathers in it's talons.
ep.gif

I race out the door & the hawk takes off. Dead silence. Can't see any chooks, & none of them are responding to my calls. I spot one of my white silkies in the garden under a bush, and grab her. No visible injuries, so I put her in the front hallway. I find the rest under their outdoor coop & am able to coax them out with sunflower seeds. They go back in their cages in the hallway. My other white silkie Snowball is up against the house, & not moving.

I reach under the coop to grab her, & pick her up to see if she's ok. No blood, but some feathers missing on the side of her neck. She seemed to be in shock, so I wrapped her in a towel & took her inside. after about 15 mins she starts clucking up a storm. I put her on the carpet to see if she can stand. She takes a couple steps, looks like she is going to collapse, but then then takes a big POOP on the carpet & walks away like nothing ever happened. I've never been so happy to have a chook crap on the floor.

Anyways I just checked on her & she seems fine. The skin was not broken on her neck & other than the missing feathers, she appears ok. Shotgun is loaded & now by the front door waiting for Mr. Hawk to make a return visit.

I just posted on the other hawk post about using fishing line.

I AM SO GLAD YOUR BIRDS ARE OK.

I had 2 hawk attacts - the first time it targeted a whith silkie hen. About the same story you just told only my girl was shocked and did not recover, I think it affected her hart. she died 3 days later. :)

The secound time it got one of my mini ducks, it carried him about 300 feet in the air then dropped him he fell like a rock never even trying to fly and hit with a louad thud. He was in shock did not move and had 3 huge tallen holes into his chest, I put him in ou bath room with extra warmth and gave hin a shot of antibiotics after flushing the wounds. 3 days later he perked up I gave him another shot and the next day let him join his buddies that was 4 years ago. He is still with us.

:)

Oh my goodness, that is terrible! But thank goodness your chicks are okay. i have silkies, too, and would be beside myself if anything happened to them. They are such delicate little critters.

We have a lot of hawks here. i don't let my girls out without being in close proximity. i also have lots of cover for them to hide. But, you just never know. One day i went out to find one on a low electrical line, checking out my backyard. They are quiet, stealth, sneaky, and deadly.

Please let us know in the coming days how your Snowball is doing.

Yesterday I was outback with the girls, just messing around weeding and such. I was walking towards my back door and I heard wings flapping and felt a breeze of air across my head. I look up and I saw a hawk! It was that close! I actually felt the breeze as it went by my head. It was about medium size and a light grey color. Almost bluish. I think maybe it was a kestrel? I think they are sort of bluish?

Sure enough, the Hawk came back today. Let's just say I know he won't be coming back tomorrow...
gun.gif

Snowball decided she was ready to climb to the top of the woodpile, after I told her the good news.
ya.gif

You can see the messed up feathers on the left side after yesterdays attack. She did a good job of preening to cover it up.

IMG_6121_Snowball_LCRT2007.jpg

Great news that she is ok. I lost 1 this summer to a Red Tail. Those birds are sneaky & smart. He came for a visit this past week & I was not prepaired so off he went.

Back
Top Bottom