Hawk trying to break into pen

SierraJuliet

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 28, 2015
Last night when I got home from work, I found a hawk trying to break through the chicken wire of my run- with his talons! He must have caught my Silkies unawares, because one has a (luckily) minor cut on its head. They must have been up against the edge of the run. I know you can create a web across a flight path to deter hawks, but they were already in their run so we're talking about having to cover a significant backyard area. Anyone have any suggestions on other (hopefully less massive) preventative measures?

Last edited:
You have a hawk that must have CAST IRON TESTICLES. I have seen and heard of hawks dropping on their prey, but never (only I) seen one go into a confined area. My run area is tarp covered in sections to give overhead cover. It is not totally covered. There are areas where anything flying could get in easily. HAVE NO SHORTAGE OF HAWKS.. never seen one go near or into my run are. They are frequently in the open area of the back yard. My thinking is this...... The hawks will go for the easiest meal it can find. In your case, maybe it was the only meal it could find. Hunger can overcome most obstacles.
WISHING YOU BEST AND
welcome-byc.gif

You could put out food to attract small birds and squirrels so the hawk can feed on those instead. I have a Great Pyrenees Guard Dog who chases off hawks and any other bird or mammal that come near or enter his domain.

Welcome! Chicken wire can be breached by many/ most predators, not including hawks. Keep your flock locked in for maybe ten days, until he moves on. Also, upgrade the run as soon as you can. Mary

I've known hawks to become skilled at grabbing an unsuspecting bird through chicken wire. My Pops raised many types of birds in outdoor flights and the hawks were a big problem. I've heard of people having some success by hanging cd's by fishing line, apparently the reflections seem to confuse or deter them. I wouldn't count on that as the only measure, but it may help. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom