Head bump, now one eye is solid white! PICS added!**2nd Update**

I am in MN. We should have our comp back this weekend or ealy next week. I have taken pics of her bump I just have no way to get the pics off my camera on on here right now. Can you get meds for chickens without a vistit to the vet? An office visit here is $50 and any testing needed would be extra. It's hard to way the expense for a $2 bird.

I know this is not the same BUT when my daughter was just months old she had eye operations. When she left hospital she had to have her eyes bathed every couple of hours with salt water - its worth a try.

Boil 1 pint of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Keep in a covered sterile container and use fresh wipes for each eye.

Good luck, its awful losing anyone even our pets.

Sonia

Quote:
Pics of her eye(s) is what I was thinking might help folks help you help her. Anyone else with a digital camera and a computer could get the pics on BYC for you - think whether you know someone who would do that - but I understand it isn't always easy to find at-the-ready help for these things. Re: your location, MN is a tad too broad for a BYCer to know whether they are anywhere near you. I am in NJ or would be glad to help.

As to the vets dispensing meds without seeing the bird, depends on the vet. Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply can consult by phone (and look at e-mailed pics) and send meds but it takes a little time for them to arrive. And he does have a small charge for the phone consult, but it's waived if the meds meet a certain cost threshold.

I don't value a being based on its initial cost in human dollars. Every dog, cat, bird or other that I've adopted has been technically free but luckily for their sake I didn't equate that with them having no value! To me, their lives are priceless. However, not having money for a vet is another matter - no one should argue that point with you or anyone. There's no point in it.

Do a SEARCH here on BYC using the SEARCH tab above - check topics like eye injury and see if you think any helpful info comes up as to what you can try to help make sure her eyes stay clean and don't get further irritated. I do think you will need a proper antibiotic pronto since the situation is worsening.

I hope she'll be okay
fl.gif

JJ

We have our comp back s I will go and take some pics of her eyes, at least try to
smile.png

Here are the ones I took shortly after we discovered it. It's just of the bump.

chickens003.jpg

chickens004.jpg

I'll go and try to take some of her eyes.

I understand about the cost. We paid over $200 on a vet bill for our guinea pig. I know the girls shouldn't be any different.

my barred rock is 1 year old and already has kateracts i think and she cant really c but she somehow finds the food and water so i dont think u should put her down bc like someone already said it might heal as time goes on just keep an eye on her (lol) and i hope she will get better!

<3 lucyboo

I got some ok pics i hope. Our camera is an old one so kinds blurry. I got some of the all white eye and one of the other eye that has white on the bottom. Hope this helps.

The bump feels hard.

chickens010.jpg

chickens009.jpg

chickens007.jpg

chickens006.jpg

chickens011.jpg

Ok, the picture of the eye not fully white really looks like my roos did with the infection. It drooped but his was also swollen all around. Now if you touch along the bottom of the eye area, does that white stuff move around at all? Does it look the same as the fully white eye or do you think it looks different?
It is really hard to say for sure about the the fully white of the eye. It does look more like blindness in that eye, whether injury or infection set into it. I know how hard it its to get good pics of these guys!!!

I would start on antibiotics asap!

Quote:
I haven't tried to see if it moves around at all. Is it possible to get antibiotics without a vet visit? We have a farm store in town.

Back
Top Bottom