Head lice on Cockerel

Bluegray87

Chirping
Jul 30, 2017
Wirral, United Kingdom
So I've just discovered that chickens can get head lice and they look different from the common louse I know about.
I have come away for the weekend with the family and had to take our Cock with us due to his obvious early morning wake up calls, I was carrying him in and discovered an itch on my arm which was still moving when I removed it, after a Google search (in depth as I wanted to rule out my daughters for head lice) I discovered the chicken head lice. I have had a look through his head and he has a mini infestation there, yet all his body is clear, now to my concern, I have 16 pullets that share the garden with the big fella, 4 of which have just come out of quarantine for lice, can these catch the head lice as they don't have showy feathers on their heads? Am I to treat just the Cockerel, or, all of my flock?
The photo I have attached is of the pest in question
1505597940034-871672174.jpg

One type of louse gets around the vent, while another type gets mostly around the head, neck, or under wings. Permethrin spray or the garden dust work well. Treat at 10 day intervals to get the lice eggs as they hatch. Clean out the coop and replace bedding after treating the roosts, nest boxes, and coop. The liquid concentrate of permethrin will mix many gallons for a sprayer, and TSC sells it.

One type of louse gets around the vent, while another type gets mostly around the head, neck, or under wings. Permethrin spray or the garden dust work well. Treat at 10 day intervals to get the lice eggs as they hatch. Clean out the coop and replace bedding after treating the roosts, nest boxes, and coop. The liquid concentrate of permethrin will mix many gallons for a sprayer, and TSC sells it.
There are even more!
uc_lice_mite_1.PNG

Does your chicken look something like this:
A Cure for Stick Tight Fleas
No, he has no feather loss at all and the lice are in his head only, I only discovered them yesterday, the main one I got out, which is the image I posted, is a large adult and when I looked through him the rest were mainly babies and eggs

Attachments

• IMG_20170910_195752_387.jpg
    IMG_20170910_195752_387.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 4
I'm based in the UK so can only buy online and will take a while for the items to be shipped.
When I have had lice problems prior I have used a spot on that I have for my ferrets and also spray the affected areas, vent, wings and neck usually with a fly strike spray, again this is sold for use on small animals to prevent fly's laying their eggs in the fur.
The fly strike contains Permethrin.

I'm based in the UK so can only buy online and will take a while for the items to be shipped.
When I have had lice problems prior I have used a spot on that I have for my ferrets and also spray the affected areas, vent, wings and neck usually with a fly strike spray, again this is sold for use on small animals to prevent fly's laying their eggs in the fur.
The fly strike contains Permethrin.
Any animal product that contains permetrin is what I would use.

Back
Top Bottom