Heard a peep from one of Miss Broody's eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sabrina24, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Sabrina24

Sabrina24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    I was putting fresh water and food in the coop last night knowing today is day 20 and 21. I lifted up one of her wings to get a quick look and heard a distinctive peep! So exciting! I tried looking around her more but could only find 4 of the 5 eggs when she started to get annoyed with me so I left. I didn't hear anything a few hours ago when I checked but I am dying to look! I know I shouldn't bother her too much but how frequently can I check on her w/o being too disruptive to her or any eggs that are hatching? This is our first time having chicks and I am so nervous and so excited!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How exciting! You could probably check every 45 minutes to an hour, if you are very fast and the hen isn't upset.

3. Sabrina24

Mar 27, 2015
    Oh wow, I didn't think I could check that often. I will try to do closer to every 2 hours, it has been almost 4 so that means I will run down there soon!!

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Just be quick so the eggs don't get cold. If the hen is getting upset, check less often. They should be fine checking every hour though.

5. Sabrina24

Mar 27, 2015
    Eek!! 2 eggs have pipped!! The one with a bigger pip has a crack and definite movement around it!! Tried to attach a video but my phone won't do it.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Yay!! What breed are they, if you know?

7. Sabrina24

Mar 27, 2015
    Not a clue. Got our rooster on Craigslist last year and the egg hatching right now is from our EE who is a total barnyard chick. I had heard the EE ahells are sometimes hard for the chicks to crack but this one seems to be doing great!! They are so vocal!!

8. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    I have mixed breeds too. I don't even know what breeds are mixed! [​IMG]

9. Sabrina24

Mar 27, 2015
    It hatched already!! A little black one, I didn't wanna bother mama too much but it's halfway dry already and trying to walk around. I didn't realize how excited I would be!

10. Yoako

Yoako Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2015
    Wow! How many eggs in all? I think your excitement is contagious! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by