Heat Lamp?

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I went to TSC.....and they had 4 White Rocks left for a $1.00 each....yeah, I know...and ducks....got two......
With it being so hot outside, and having them in the barn, do I need a heat lamp? I dont use those 250w ones, oh, heck, no! I normally use 60w or 40w depending on the weather light bulbs. On one hand, I think they will be ok, but would appreciate any advice.

How old are the chicks/ducks? If they're a few weeks old, they'll probably be fine without one or just have it on at night. Could also build them a huddle box (just a plain old cardboard box will do) to use for a while.

Chicks have feathers on thier wings so Id say probably abput 2 weeks old. No feathers on the ducks. Thats what I was thinking was just turn it on at night because during the day its in the upper 90's with heat index of over 100. I just dont want to overheat them.
I can get some cardboard boxes to use for a huddle house.

I have them in a stall away from the windows. If I have to I can cover the brooders with towels. Thanks!

mine don't tend to like any form of heat other than if broody raised , broodies are mean and bossy lol,after about 24 hours as they have dried out.

I do put a little box in there for them with some straw just in case though, used to put the bedding in there but they are like little kids wanna eat everything at least with a little straw it doesn't hurt them, at about 4 days old in heat they enjoy outside time supervised off course

I went to TSC.....and they had 4 White Rocks left for a $1.00 each....yeah, I know...and ducks....got two......
With it being so hot outside, and having them in the barn, do I need a heat lamp? I dont use those 250w ones, oh, heck, no! I normally use 60w or 40w depending on the weather light bulbs. On one hand, I think they will be ok, but would appreciate any advice.

All brooders need a thermometer.
THEN you can adjust the lamp UP & DOWN to change the temp.
The ideal temp would be 95-98*F.
:oldNow if your P.O.B. (placement of Brooder) has a room temp within that ideal temp above, then no lamp required.
Although night temps will be lower. Geographical differences come into play. We are in Florida.. Outdoor brooders need no heat in August.;)

Im in Tn and the heat index is over 100 right now. I have a low watt bulb in the heatlamp I'll turn on at night. I can put a thermometer out there to check.

Back
Top Bottom