Heat Lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rammy, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    I went to TSC.....and they had 4 White Rocks left for a $1.00 each....yeah, I know...and ducks....got two......
    With it being so hot outside, and having them in the barn, do I need a heat lamp? I dont use those 250w ones, oh, heck, no! I normally use 60w or 40w depending on the weather light bulbs. On one hand, I think they will be ok, but would appreciate any advice.

Farmer Connie likes this.
  2. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    How old are the chicks/ducks? If they're a few weeks old, they'll probably be fine without one or just have it on at night. Could also build them a huddle box (just a plain old cardboard box will do) to use for a while.

gtaus likes this.
  3. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    Chicks have feathers on thier wings so Id say probably abput 2 weeks old. No feathers on the ducks. Thats what I was thinking was just turn it on at night because during the day its in the upper 90's with heat index of over 100. I just dont want to overheat them.
    I can get some cardboard boxes to use for a huddle house.

gtaus likes this.
  4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Sounds plenty warm enough without a heat source. Maaaybe offer one at night, though if it stays fairly warm they should be fine as long as they have a draft free area to cuddle up in.

gtaus and Rammy like this.
  5. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have them in a stall away from the windows. If I have to I can cover the brooders with towels. Thanks!

gtaus likes this.
  6. slordaz

slordaz Crowing

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    mine don't tend to like any form of heat other than if broody raised , broodies are mean and bossy lol,after about 24 hours as they have dried out.

I do put a little box in there for them with some straw just in case though, used to put the bedding in there but they are like little kids wanna eat everything at least with a little straw it doesn't hurt them, at about 4 days old in heat they enjoy outside time supervised off course

gtaus likes this.
  7. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop

All brooders need a thermometer.
    THEN you can adjust the lamp UP & DOWN to change the temp.
    The ideal temp would be 95-98*F.
    :oldNow if your P.O.B. (placement of Brooder) has a room temp within that ideal temp above, then no lamp required.
    Although night temps will be lower. Geographical differences come into play. We are in Florida.. Outdoor brooders need no heat in August.;)

gtaus, Rammy and slordaz like this.
  8. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    Im in Tn and the heat index is over 100 right now. I have a low watt bulb in the heatlamp I'll turn on at night. I can put a thermometer out there to check.

gtaus likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have heat available if they need it....but they should be able to get away from it too.
    Better to go by behaviors than temp numbers.

imnukensc and gtaus like this.
  10. gtaus

gtaus Crowing

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure they have enough room in the brooder to get away from the heat at night if necessary.

slordaz and rosemarythyme like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: