Heat Stress/Heat stroke - How long do symptoms last?

Ugh! So sorry! I missed your post about possible illness in the flock. So sorry. Hang in there. Can you be home for the long weekend?
I'm home. I'm supposed t be at the Maryland State Fair for my daughter's dairy show, right now, but that would mean leaving my wonderful, but chicken-clueless son to deal with this mess. I feel awful, no matter which way I go - but DD says stay with the biddies, so I'm staying.
Fella, the cockerel, is a bit more perky, now that he has company, but still looks really, really rough. He just stood tall and clucked at Fern, the pullet, who is fading quickly, then settled back into a puffy, dejected stance. DS is sending pics to me, now, so I'll post them, shortly.

SickChicks4.jpg Fella and Fern. He was like her, last night, but has since perked up and taken electrolytes in water, but little to no food.
SickChicks1.jpg Fella now, alert enough to watch over his lady and follow our movements, which he would not do, last night. His comb was flopped over and going gray, this morning, but has improved immensely as the day progresses.
SickChicks3.jpg Fern's latest poop - completely liquid, no blood or solids.
SickChicks2.jpg Full side profile of my baby girl - eyes nearly closed and comb going gray. Her color still looks decent, not "flat," like Fella's. They should both be a beautiful, smooth porcelain, but Fella looks positively shaggy. I'm SO worried!

Attachments

• SickChicks1.jpg
    SickChicks1.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 6
  • SickChicks4.jpg
    SickChicks4.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 6
Ugh! So sorry! I missed your post about possible illness in the flock. So sorry. Hang in there. Can you be home for the long weekend?
I just lost the pullet! There are two more - a D'Uccles pullet and an OEGB cockerel - in the grow-out pen. I'm thinking that I should pull them both inside with the surviving D'Uccles cockerel so I can treat them all at the same time. The problem is that I have no idea what I'm treating for! I have Save-Chick, I have Corid. I don't know if I should give the Corid or not. Both stricken birds are/were wobbly, thin and in obvious stress. No bloody poops. I don't know how to check a chicken's temp or I would.
Fella has some bare patches on the tops of his wings (where shoulder bars would be on a Red Pyle) that look whitish. They kinda look like a pic of lice damage on this website. I don't see mites or lice on either him or on Fern's body, but should I treat for them anyway?
I am so upset over this! I've always been able to treat illness and injury in my animals, but I don't know what to do for this! The nearest avian vet is an hour away, and the local farmers don't treat chickens. They cull them. I feel so helpless!

I would probably start the Corid. If you have the liquid, give the sick ones a drench of 2 drops of undiluted Corid twice a day, and let them drink the Corid water. If you have the powder to make the drench, mix 1.5 tsp in 2 tsp of water, and give 2 drops twice a day. The severe outbreak dosage is 1.5 tsp of the Corid powder or 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid Corid per gallon of water. You may get some droppings checked for coccidiosis or worms by a local vet.

I started Corid tonight. From what I've been reading, it does look like I'm dealing with coccidiosis. The heat stroke seriously confused things, as did the lack of any blood in the stools. Fella had pretty regular stools until tonight, but Fern was liquid from the get-go. I think it clicked in my mind when Fella climbed up to snuggle under my chin and I could hear his gut rumbling - loudly. The readings said coccidiosis is a digestive system issue, so that fits.

Since there were still two youngsters out in the pen, I brought them in to join Fella in the hospital crate. Looks like it was a smart move, as Featherfoot, the other D'Uccles pullet, was already showing signs of listlessness. Peanut, the other OEGB cockerel seems okay, but I'll treat him as if he was sick, too. They are the middle run (of course) of three attached pens, so I'll need to treat everyone and clean out the entire set-up tomorrow. I have one other coop/run that is separate, but nearby, so that will have to be done, too.

I'll start the 2 tsp liquid Corid per gallon in everybody's water first thing in the morning. Should I do that with the hospital birds, too, or is the drench enough? They're bantams and only 5 months old - not much more than babies. I've never done this before, so I want to do it right and not overdose them.

i have the two dead youngsters in the freezer and I'll take some stool samples to the vet on Monday - unless my sister can do it for me tomorrow. She's a dairy farmer, and they had a calf with that particular nastiness not too long ago. I'm hoping she still has the testing kit.

This has been heartbreaking, and it's not over yet. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

I guess I won't be sending the pullet out for necropsy. I forgot about the "fridge, don't freeze" part and she was already frozen. I was going to bury them, but think I'll (forgive me, little ones) just put them directly in the trash when it gets picked up, to avoid further contamination. I wish I could burn the bodies, but I just can't. They were pets.

All three of the survivors are still with me this morning. Fella looks about the same, Featherfoot is still upright, but more listless and Peanut looks pretty normal, if a bit subdued. They're about to get their box cleaned out and their morning Corid dose. If I'm giving them the 2 drops straight, should I still give them Corid in their water?

DD will be cleaning out everyone's boxes, today. We're painting the interiors of the wooden boxes with exterior white paint. Will that be enough to kill the coccidia? The runs are all old sandboxes (it's a converted playhouse complex) with sand/dirt/mulch mixed beds. Emptying them completely is not an option without compromising the structure. How much lime is safe for chickens? Or should I use something else?

Feel free to share this thread with anyone you think could help. And thank you, BOTH of you - @micstrachan & @Eggcessive - for getting me this far.

Back
Top Bottom