Heat Stress/Heat stroke - How long do symptoms last?

I agree with Eggcessive, possibly Marek's disease. One leg forward, one leg backward is a symptom.
thmar.jpg

Glad to hear things are getting back to normal, and that no one else is sick. Your banties sound really sweet. And to hear crows again after silence is wonderful. I would just use either of the poultry vitamins, since multi B’s are the ones needed, not just B12.

Mareks testing is not very accurate on live birds, so I am not really sure that you would want to do any since you may get false negative.
It is best diagnosed after death when the state vet can test tumor tissue or feather shafts.
Most of the Mareks-experienced people here on BYC will tesll you that.

Okay, Fella is better this morning, alert but still puffy. He made straight for the fresh Pedialyte/water I just put in - a good sign! But ... I now have a sick pullet from the same pen. While heat stroke is definitely a major factor, I suspect that I'm dealing with more than just that. Yay.
Fern is lethargic & wobbly, refusing water and food. She feels light. I'm heading to TSC this morning for more bedding, wormer and Corid - I hope I don't need the Corid, but if I do, I need to have enough on hand to dose 2 dozen bantams. Pictures to follow, after my trip to TSC... Chickens, first!

I started Corid tonight. From what I've been reading, it does look like I'm dealing with coccidiosis. The heat stroke seriously confused things, as did the lack of any blood in the stools. Fella had pretty regular stools until tonight, but Fern was liquid from the get-go. I think it clicked in my mind when Fella climbed up to snuggle under my chin and I could hear his gut rumbling - loudly. The readings said coccidiosis is a digestive system issue, so that fits.

Since there were still two youngsters out in the pen, I brought them in to join Fella in the hospital crate. Looks like it was a smart move, as Featherfoot, the other D'Uccles pullet, was already showing signs of listlessness. Peanut, the other OEGB cockerel seems okay, but I'll treat him as if he was sick, too. They are the middle run (of course) of three attached pens, so I'll need to treat everyone and clean out the entire set-up tomorrow. I have one other coop/run that is separate, but nearby, so that will have to be done, too.

I'll start the 2 tsp liquid Corid per gallon in everybody's water first thing in the morning. Should I do that with the hospital birds, too, or is the drench enough? They're bantams and only 5 months old - not much more than babies. I've never done this before, so I want to do it right and not overdose them.

i have the two dead youngsters in the freezer and I'll take some stool samples to the vet on Monday - unless my sister can do it for me tomorrow. She's a dairy farmer, and they had a calf with that particular nastiness not too long ago. I'm hoping she still has the testing kit.

This has been heartbreaking, and it's not over yet. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom