Heat Stress/Heat stroke - How long do symptoms last?

Pics
Glad you are out of the hospital, and glad they think it’s not Mareks. Do you know what test they did, such as PCR test on feather shafts. Usually, I’m told that it is done on feather shafts and tumor tissue, tumors which may be found internally. We always like to know how things are dealt with around the country, to let other folks know. So happy for you after losing your chicken, that it is coccidiosis.

I am sorry for your loss..but I am confused.
You sent a bird for a necropsy but they didn't do one and gave you a diagnosis of coccidiosis from not doing a necropsy?

Am I reading this wrong?

They could get a fecal test on a body with a stool swab without opening a body most likely.

That is what was recommended. Since I am exactly 4.9 miles out-of-state, New Bolton wanted an uncapped $300 to do a necropsy and advised me that it would be difficult to do one at all because the body (although refrigerated) was older than 48 hours. My son is going to drop Peanut off at a friends vet practice tomorrow so they can do the fecal on it via swab. They may try a necropsy, as well, just to see what they can find, this late.

So, no, New Bolton did not do anything but a very indepth phone interview. We talked for nearly an hour, with her asking detailed questions about symptoms, progressions, treatment, deaths and recoveries. The only one that showed any indication that it may have been Marek's was Fella, and his nearly immediate recovery with the Chick Saver was the key point for the call. She felt confident in stating that Marek's was "Not Indicated." She also gave me some coop and run specific advice on how to minimize the chances of any such nastiness again.

That may not be enough for some, but it is enough for me at the moment. My birds will be confined to home, with no contact with any others, until Late Spring. By then, I will be well enough to pursue this further. It will also give me time to decide if we will EVER go to a show again. Even though this was not picked up there, the time frame was right and it could have been. Even with a Best-in-Show rooster in the flock, I'm not ready to risk my birds for a ribbon - and I'm REALLY not sure I could go through this again!

I am glad they are feeling better!
:woot

I have a list of all state labs here:
Necropsy and disease testing lab info

Your specific state lab is:
https://mda.maryland.gov/animalHealth/Pages/laboratory.aspx

and your state lab's price list for testing and necropsies:
https://mda.maryland.gov/AnimalHealth/Documents/Lab fee listing.pdf

your state lab's shipping instructions:
https://mda.maryland.gov/AnimalHealth/Pages/laboratory.aspx#shipping

Thank you - You just gave me more information than my Agricultural Extension Office did! They didn't even include the Frederick Lab. If I'd known that one existed, I'd have been in the car the morning after Peanut died. It's only a little over an hour away.
The shipping instructions I got from the Ag Ext Office are different, too, at least for a carcass. They included a styrofoam cooler as one of the packing boxes and the timeline was longer. I have a feeling our local Ag agents need to do some updating! I'll let them know Monday morning.

Yes, I think it does, but not sure how much.
213E2B86-2A93-4D5E-A40A-90E2F0712450.jpeg

I had a BIG scare, last night. As I transferred FeatherFoot and Fella to their new outside abode, I realized that Fella was limping. After all he and I have been through, that was call for instant panic on my part. I immediately pulled him out for a thorough inspection and found ... a fuzzy poo-blob stuck between his feathered toes! I gently pinched it off and voila, no more limp! I wish all medical emergencies were that easy to solve!

Back
Top Bottom