1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heat stroke?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by JoyBelle, Sep 12, 2011.

1. JoyBelle

JoyBelle Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    I jsut discovered my month old White Palms locked out of their house. [​IMG][​IMG] I lost 6 of them [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] What can I do to help the other 7? Some are still breathing but laying on their sides, some are still upright but sitting, all have their beaks open and panting. I've dipped beaks in water, few drank. Can I mist them with room temp water? Anything else? I wouldn't imagine an air conditioned home would be good for them.

Thanks & Blessings

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Dunk them in a big tub of water. Add electrolytes and vitamins to the water. Put them in front of a fan. Good luck, keep wetting them until they cool off.

3. JoyBelle

JoyBelle Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Thanks!! Lost two more [​IMG][​IMG] but the others are up and walking around. I'll check on them every 20 minutes for awhile. Thanks again!!!

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I had 1 heat stroke incident this summer. I brought my hen inside and gave her electrolytes and she was better the next day.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Quote:You are welcome:) when it is hot, I put shallow wading pans in the runs for the chickens. On super hot days I put ice in the waterers, freeze water bottles to put in lasts longer. Also lots of fruit, watermelon rinds etc. So sorry for your losses. I lost 4 chickens to the heat this year, it was really bad with all the heat advisories. Thank goodness it is cooling off here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by