Heated chicken waterer?

The Premier 1 has 4.5 stars and 299 reviews. The Farm Innovators has just under 3 stars with 63 reviews.

I bet the Premier 1 is probably worth the extra $17. Plus shipping, of course.

I have the heated pet water bowl that I got at TSC. I'm thinking of getting a second heated waterer, and don't know if I want the Premier 1 or another bowl. IIRC, the bowl was $40.

Totally up to you. I’ve done mine this way for 15 years. Edit to add-I buy a new heater every several years.new edit: I’ve used the heater 15 yrs, the horizontal nipples are newer.

Last edited:
The Premier 1 has 4.5 stars and 299 reviews. The Farm Innovators has just under 3 stars with 63 reviews.

I bet the Premier 1 is probably worth the extra $17. Plus shipping, of course.

I have the heated pet water bowl that I got at TSC. I'm thinking of getting a second heated waterer, and don't know if I want the Premier 1 or another bowl. IIRC, the bowl was $40.
Premier's is also fully opaque, which was something I specifically wanted to eliminate algae growth inside the bucket, if that's a consideration for anyone.

I have a longer review posted for the Premier one on here under "Reviews" if you want more detailed pros/cons on it.

They learn fast-mine did. Seemed like when one chicken figured it out, they all followed. I would hit the little peg that lets water out, showing them. I would watch them some to just make sure they do get it. My young ducklings even learned to drink from it, by watching the chickens. They had their own water bowl, but also used the nipples. And I’ve never had any algae grow in mine, any time of year. My waterers are not exposed to sunshine. I hope this helps.

Premier's is also fully opaque, which was something I specifically wanted to eliminate algae growth inside the bucket, if that's a consideration for anyone.

I have a longer review posted for the Premier one on here under "Reviews" if you want more detailed pros/cons on it.
I like the look of the Premier 1 but I already got the Farm Innovator one. I will go Premier 1 when I need to replace the one I have.

My chickens have never drank out of a waterer like that. Would they learn quickly?

I trained the first flock to use them by tapping the nipple with my finger and wedging a mealworm into each one. When they took the mealworm they discovered that it was wet.

After a couple days of this I started taking the open waterer out at night and not putting it back until later in the morning -- slowly increasing the time until I was SURE that at least one or two were drinking from the nipples. After that I removed the open waterer completely.

Successive batches of chicks have learned by observing the adults during the see-don't-touch period. During this time I had both waterers in the chick enclosure.

I'm in the process of making sure that they understand the nipples with the current chicks. I will get them onto it ASAP because I HATE the foulness of open waterers.

Back
Top Bottom