heated water ideas

milli78

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
PEI Canada
I have 4 pekin rowan mix never had ducks before. From PEI canada so winters get cold here, snowing as I type actually. My shelter isn't insulated do they need? And secondly keeping water from icing up? I read lots of posts but all seem to be for chickens and using light bulbs,not safe for ducks since they like to make a mess.

I have 4 pekin rowan mix never had ducks before. From PEI canada so winters get cold here, snowing as I type actually. My shelter isn't insulated do they need? And secondly keeping water from icing up? I read lots of posts but all seem to be for chickens and using light bulbs,not safe for ducks since they like to make a mess.
I have heated buckets made to use with livestock. they work great. they also work on a thermostat so when it gets above freezing they shut off. As far as shelter most of us don't insulate our house we have for our flocks, just make sure it keep the wind and wet off of them and is secure from predators and has good ventilation. and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I have those buckets too, they work well....but the ducks can only drink down half way. For 4 ducks shouldn't be an issue. I am using the botttom of a blue barrel, cut to a pan-it is 6" deep. Holds 10 gallons. I put a grid of old romex over the top so they can't get into the water. I am using a bird bath deicer inside and it works great. all the ducks can get all the water, it doesn't get *too* dirty and it doesn't freeze. I have 21 ducks in that flock.

If you have a cheep plastic pool you can keep it from freezing with a tank heater for live stock. I did this with my pigeons and it never frooze all winter. But get the submercible one. Its less dangerouse for anything including ducks and geese. There about 40 bucks at tractor supply.

It should but I don't like the floaters because the birds try to sit on them. The submersible kinde I got is cast iron and lays on the bottom so its just like a rock on the bottom of the pond. But yes a floater should keep it open too.

I just ordered a heated dog bowl from amazon. Around $25 bucks and it's BIG. I suspect they're swimming in it, though...
Yep I bet they climb into it, I have seen my ducks get into the 2.5 gallon heated buckets so I attached a piece of thin wood across half to keep that from happening. and I have a 5 gallon heated bucket that the geese love to bathe in they don't even have to climb in to splash all the water out of it.
hmm.png
soon as the rain and snow let up there will be a piece of wood attached to it also.

I use the small heated bucket in the main part of the barn after that, for outside i use rubber livestock bowls and stomp the ice out and refill i also keep a 50GAL water trough open but that is a big flock out there so easier plus keeps the silly ducks outta the water bowls for bathing.

As for insulation, hmmm depends, i have a lot of natural here as i have siding on the main barn(old barn boards) the smaller coops, i have this metal covered bubble wrap stuff on the ceilings but that is that, there all wood coops or this fancy fake wood siding i get at lowes that is massively durable.. 50yr warranty.

I'm in Ontario, so i know a little about a Canadian winter lol have a bathing suit on one day, pull out the woolies the next.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom