Help! 2 year old chicken seems sick?

Hihamburger

Songster
May 1, 2018
Hello all,

I'll be able to provide more details tomorrow after I am home and can see with mine own eyes what exactly is going on. However, from my understanding, my 2 year old RIR Rhea is exhibiting some worrying symptoms.

She is wheezing and her comb is purple. They dont think it is gape worm, again, I'll add more details when I know more. However, first thoughts?

They've isolated her incase whatever it is contagious, any tips on how to help her?

Thanks!!

2 years old wheezing with a purple comb - when did she last lay an egg? Any fluid or swelling of the abdomen?

Have you added any new birds in the last several weeks?

One other thing would be to see if she has obstruction in the throat and check her crop - what's that like?

It can be hard to know without checking them out - but those are the things I would look at first. My first suspicion would be reproductive problems with fluid or swelling of the abdomen if her crop is not fluid or air filled or she doesn't have anything stuck in her throat.

Does the comb become pink when she is resting and not being handled? How is the coop ventilation, and is there any mold? Is her crop empty or full, hard or puffy? Take a flashlight and look into her beak and throat for any yellow or white material. Look for any bubbles in an eye or nasal drainage.

2 years old wheezing with a purple comb - when did she last lay an egg? Any fluid or swelling of the abdomen?

Have you added any new birds in the last several weeks?

One other thing would be to see if she has obstruction in the throat and check her crop - what's that like?

It can be hard to know without checking them out - but those are the things I would look at first. My first suspicion would be reproductive problems with fluid or swelling of the abdomen if her crop is not fluid or air filled or she doesn't have anything stuck in her throat.
My sister just told me that she has a lump in her crop, I'm not sure if they will know when she last laid as eggs dont get checked for until noon or later, and by then they're mostly finished laying. Her eggs look like the other eggs our chickens lay.

Also, no new chickens recently, last new birds were added over 6 months ago

My sister just told me that she has a lump in her crop, I'm not sure if they will know when she last laid as eggs dont get checked for until noon or later, and by then they're mostly finished laying. Her eggs look like the other eggs our chickens lay.

Also, no new chickens recently, last new birds were added over 6 months ago
Well, can she feel of the abdomen to see if there's swelling or bloat?
A lump in the crop could be food if the hen has eaten today - check it first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink, see if the crop is empty or if the lump is still there.

Hey guys, thanks for your advice and help
Unfortunately, my Rhea passed away before I even made it home 😭

My sister was with her when she drew her last breath, so, I take comfort that she wasnt alone.

Back
Top Bottom