Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

if she feels dry, go ahead and move her to the brooder but keep everything soft and clean for her tummy.
I feel like there might be something wrong with this duckling, and I hope it’s just me being paranoid - I took a small nap since I’d been up late assisting with the hatching and woke up to the duckling distressed because it somehow fell on its back and couldn’t get back up again (something my other two never experienced - they could get on their feet when I put them on their back).
The duckling also doesn’t follow me so I haven’t gotten the chance to see it walk but at the moment it’s on its stomach with its feet spread out and just turns on the spot a bit - I have no idea what the duckling imprinted on but apparently it’s not me lol, trying to figure out what makes it move. And finally, the inner eyelid on the left eye sticks out when it’s eyes are open.

Last edited:
What is the temp in your brooder? and how long since hatch. If it was a difficult one it takes them a while to recover. Let it rest and hopefully, it will get stronger as the day progresses. You could offer a little warm water with some type of poultry vitamins if you have some. Probably won't be hungry right off. feet spread out to the sides or behind?

What is the temp in your brooder? and how long since hatch. If it was a difficult one it takes them a while to recover. Let it rest and hopefully, it will get stronger as the day progresses. You could offer a little warm water with some type of poultry vitamins if you have some. Probably won't be hungry right off. feet spread out to the sides or behind?
I believed it’s 37C - it’s a heated platform. It’s feet are spread to the side, and yeah not interested in eat or drinking at all. I’ll get a picture of the ducklings legs and send it here!

I feel like there might be something wrong with this duckling, and I hope it’s just me being paranoid - I took a small nap since I’d been up late assisting with the hatching and woke up to the duckling distressed because it somehow fell on its back and couldn’t get back up again (something my other two never experienced - they could get on their feet when I put them on their back).
The duckling also doesn’t follow me so I haven’t gotten the chance to see it walk but at the moment it’s on its stomach with its feet spread out and just turns on the spot a bit - I have no idea what the duckling imprinted on but apparently it’s not me lol, trying to figure out what makes it move. And finally, the inner eyelid on the left eye sticks out when it’s eyes are open.
I agree with what Miss Lydia has said- as for falling on her back, just keep a close eye on her.
My duckling did this after a difficult hatch, she would fall back and kick and kick. It panicked me, but I just kept correcting it, and she was fine. After a while she found her balance on her own. I don't know that its the same for your baby, but don't stress too much- it's still early and some ducklings just take longer.

A photo of her legs and eyelid issue would definitely help!

0AE3435D-BFDE-47BD-A290-95121519B4E4.jpeg

0E74C847-750C-4F99-8D01-7848A0710A9D.jpeg

The eyelid sorted itself out but the legs, not so much, doesn’t really use them properly, like for example the other two used to try clambering up me and either bury their head in my neck or try to run off by the moment I move my hand from her she just drops

How long ago did she hatch ? With assisted babies it can take longer to get on their feet
Many healthy little ones fall on their backs and can’t get up. If her legs are apart it could be she needs more time or splayed leg.
Try washing her eyes with warm water on a soft cloth gently
@DuckyDonna
@Miss Lydia
@WVduckchick
They may have more ideas on legs apart as I haven’t had that happen yet

Beautiful! Give her a day or two. With a fat belly like it was, it sometimes takes them a little extra time to get their legs moving correctly.
I use puppy pads for the first few days also, but if you can add an old wash cloth or something it can get more grip on would be good.
(I bought 4 cheapo dollar store kitchen wash rags for like $1, rinse and reuse for my ducklings)

How long ago did she hatch ? With assisted babies it can take longer to get on their feet
Many healthy little ones fall on their backs and can’t get up. If her legs are apart it could be she needs more time or splayed leg.
Try washing her eyes with warm water on a soft cloth gently
@DuckyDonna
@Miss Lydia
@WVduckchick
They may have more ideas on legs apart as I haven’t had that happen yet
Apparently I missed a whole page while replying
You already have their help
It’s been a long 3 weeks for me with not much sleep lol
I think she looks okay the puppy pads don’t have grip and babies can take a bit to stand and walk without the feet slipping

Back
Top Bottom