Help....all my girls are open mouth breathing

elizwlsn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Palmyra, Va.
I have 6 - 8 month old hens. A few weeks ago one starting making a noise and I got on here and asked why she was barking because that's what it sounded like. She was the only one making this noise. I assume that was the beginnings of whatever this is.

Yesterday I heard her breathing and it sounded so labored I brought her in the house. It's so loud I can here her quite a ways away.

No, nose discharge. No running eyes. Some soiling around her vent but her appetite is amazing. She had two scrambled eggs with sprouted sunflower seeds and cheese and a whole carrot shredded so she's not off food plus some of her crumbles.

I gave her some baytril.....didn't know till later I wasn't suppose to but had some for my dogs and had asked the vet just a few months back what the doseage was for chickens and he told me and never mentioned I wasn't suppose to do that. I had thought it wasn't going through the other girls so dosed her again this morning and put her back out with the rest of the girls. I only brought her in so she would be warmer. Anyway, I went to get her again tonight and all are open mouthed breathing although no one is bad like she is. They are all laying fine and have been. I get 4 - 6 eggs a day. Everyone is eating and she's the only one with soiled vent area. No one acts sick but she sure sounds bad and they all look tonight like their breathing is in some distress.
What do I do now? If this started with the barking noise it's been a couple of weeks or more that this has been coming on.

This is never a good sign. They overcome it though. I have put a couple of drops of lime and even vicks on there nose and it will cut the behavior. Try it and let me know.
caf.gif

This is never a good sign. They overcome it though. I have put a couple of drops of lime and even vicks on there nose and it will cut the behavior. Try it and let me know.
caf.gif

No vicks or lime in house to try for tonight but will give it a go in the morning.

I am wondering if it might be Mycoplasmosis. That from what I'm reading can be in a flock without causing death or real serious outward signs in most birds. They can have it their whole lives. But it should be treated. I wish it weren't the weekend. I just didn't realize her breathing was so bad until last night.

My vet treated a wounded chicken for me once but really isn't an avian vet or do much with any poultry or livestock. How do I find a vet that knows chickens?

No vicks or lime in house to try for tonight but will give it a go in the morning.

I am wondering if it might be Mycoplasmosis. That from what I'm reading can be in a flock without causing death or real serious outward signs in most birds. They can have it their whole lives. But it should be treated. I wish it weren't the weekend. I just didn't realize her breathing was so bad until last night.

My vet treated a wounded chicken for me once but really isn't an avian vet or do much with any poultry or livestock. How do I find a vet that knows chickens?

I ordered the chicken health book but it isn't here yet.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom