I have him in a small container with paper towels underneath to hold the water and, some water in the side. I hope things turn out right but you’re are right, thanks for the help :hugs:highfive:
I personally would let him dry off and warm up slowly, he can also rest. I am concerned about hypothermia and not warming him up too quickly, for fear of shock. We had a hen who was attacked by a possum, last year. The possum pulled all the skin off of her right thigh. We used a ton of neosporen and she spent 3 months as a house chicken. If her right thigh feathers didn't look like fluffy butt feathers, you would never know. She runs with the flock like nothing ever happened. Chickens are smart and resilient. :hugs

You need to get him dry. Try the lamp. Please DO NOT bathe him again.

Do you have someone to watch over him while he's under the lamp while you get the poultry dust with permethrin? You need to dust him as soon as he is dry. That will kill all the live lice on him and he won't require another bath. Then please treat the rest of the flock and the coop as I outlined above and give him the additional support to help him recover.
When you go to the farm store to get the poultry dust, get the Rooster Booster or whatever poultry vitamin/mineral liquid supplement they sell too so you have that to give him. I would just administer it a drop at a time to the corner of his beak so it wicks in and he can swallow it on his own.
@DobieLover is giving you some great advice. I would do as she advises, she is one of our experts.

Last edited:
Update: Sadly he passed, I was going to give him a soft boiled egg since he was like moving his mouth around a lot (I was planning on mushing it with the feed), and I came to check on him, his eyes were open, he was on one side still though, as I was excited thinking my favorite rooster (and rarest) was getting better I leave and come back 30 seconds later and I guess he was having his final moments, he took a poop, stretched, yawned, and sadly closed his eyes for the last time. Thank you all for helping me and giving me these tips, I will still use them in the future and definetely clean their coop (sadly can't have them free-range), again thanks!!! :hugs @Ursuline Chick @DobieLover @RadEggs @chicken1234 @theoldchick (Also sorry for the tag)

Update: Sadly he passed, I was going to give him a soft boiled egg since he was like moving his mouth around a lot (I was planning on mushing it with the feed), and I came to check on him, his eyes were open, he was on one side still though, as I was excited thinking my favorite rooster (and rarest) was getting better I leave and come back 30 seconds later and I guess he was having his final moments, he took a poop, stretched, yawned, and sadly closed his eyes for the last time. Thank you all for helping me and giving me these tips, I will still use them in the future and definetely clean their coop (sadly can't have them free-range), again thanks!!! :hugs @Ursuline Chick @DobieLover @RadEggs @chicken1234 @theoldchick (Also sorry for the tag)
Aww, I'm so sorry. From what I can see, you take exelent care of your chickens. This is not your fault. :hugs

Aww, I'm so sorry. From what I can see, you take exelent care of your chickens. This is not your fault. :hugs
Thank you, I just don't know where all those came from, I know that there had been some before but never that many, I am wondering since he didn't get up somewhere high in enough time, could him being on the floor made him that vulnerable to just corrupt him like that? I still don't know if it was the bugs or cold. He is also on the lower side of the pecking order due to his size. But oh well I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Thank you very much RadEggs, I appreciate your help :hugs

Thank you, am going to do that :thumbsup
I understand he has passed, so sorry. Were you able to identify where the maggots were coming from? You said they were external, yes? None coming out his vent? And if they were external only were you able to identify a wound? I know it's too late for him but just to help you ascertain what happened to him so you'll know what to do if happens again.

Back
Top Bottom