Pics
I understand he has passed, so sorry. Were you able to identify where the maggots were coming from? You said they were external, yes? None coming out his vent? And if they were external only were you able to identify a wound? I know it's too late for him but just to help you ascertain what happened to him so you'll know what to do if happens again.
I believe it was lice or mites or gnats, they didn't look like maggots but I could'nt understand for sure if they were external but when I had showered him I didn't wet his head (not fully, only like glide over it for a second) but I noticed that there were alot more on his head (I think it was since I didn't fully wet him there, I now realize I should've done what they do with dogs (create a soap ring)) there was a scab on his nose, I would always notice it but I thought it would be from his pecking through some chicken wire (I have one of those chicken coops that has a bottom outdoor and top floor with doors and a egg collector in the back, I don't use anymore but I would use it to introduce new chicks or for seperation, since I had gotton WAY more chickens and they wouldn't live in something like that anymore (chicken math basically), anyways he had a scab on his walnut crown, I noticed he pooped diareaha ish it was still brown though, and just his being lethargic, the little bastards would hide in the feathers, I checked his vent and couldn't see much was pretty clear, they liked hiding under his wings and head. I myself can't really understand because of how sudden it was but I think I found a whole nest where that small coop is, I was checking were he was and saw some like underground like I accidentally slipped and seperated some dirt in the ground and see those things UNDER THE DIRT. What kinda things hide under the dirt? I thought mites were like on wood and chickens not burrowing or nesting under the dirt. Sorry for the paragraph just in disbelief and sad for my boy suffering.

I believe it was lice or mites or gnats, they didn't look like maggots but I could'nt understand for sure if they were external but when I had showered him I didn't wet his head (not fully, only like glide over it for a second) but I noticed that there were alot more on his head (I think it was since I didn't fully wet him there, I now realize I should've done what they do with dogs (create a soap ring)) there was a scab on his nose, I would always notice it but I thought it would be from his pecking through some chicken wire (I have one of those chicken coops that has a bottom outdoor and top floor with doors and a egg collector in the back, I don't use anymore but I would use it to introduce new chicks or for seperation, since I had gotton WAY more chickens and they wouldn't live in something like that anymore (chicken math basically), anyways he had a scab on his walnut crown, I noticed he pooped diareaha ish it was still brown though, and just his being lethargic, the little bastards would hide in the feathers, I checked his vent and couldn't see much was pretty clear, they liked hiding under his wings and head. I myself can't really understand because of how sudden it was but I think I found a whole nest where that small coop is, I was checking were he was and saw some like underground like I accidentally slipped and seperated some dirt in the ground and see those things UNDER THE DIRT. What kinda things hide under the dirt? I thought mites were like on wood and chickens not burrowing or nesting under the dirt. Sorry for the paragraph just in disbelief and sad for my boy suffering.
Yes I just saw the pictures. Wouldn't show for me the first time around but coming up now. Those are mites darlin. Topical ivermectin, 1 drop per 500grams of bodyweight on the skin between shoulder blades. So 4 drops for your average 2kg hen, could be 5-6 drops for a rooster. Could also use red mite powder, etc. You need to clean out the coop, put the powder everywhere and do all the rest of the flock thoroughly one by one. I would get rid of that nest also, get a professional in if necessary. Generally you will notice mites around the vent area, so this would be one of the main places to check for them. Sorry for your loss, it's terrible when you lose one!

Yes I just saw the pictures. Wouldn't show for me the first time around but coming up now. Those are mites darlin. Topical ivermectin, 1 drop per 500grams of bodyweight on the skin between shoulder blades. So 4 drops for your average 2kg hen, could be 5-6 drops for a rooster. Could also use red mite powder, etc. You need to clean out the coop, put the powder everywhere and do all the rest of the flock thoroughly one by one. I would get rid of that nest also, get a professional in if necessary. Generally you will notice mites around the vent area, so this would be one of the main places to check for them. Sorry for your loss, it's terrible when you lose one!
Okay, thank you for the information :hugs . It doesn't get any easier dealing with grief, no matter how many times your lose a pet, animal, or person. It truly does suck.

I am sorry that he passed away, it never gets easy. Those were lice in the photo you posted you can clearly see that in the pics, you took really good photos showing them. He may have had other parasites as well as they tend to go after the weakest in the bunch and he may have already had a health issue unrelated. It can happen but now that you know he had lice you can easily treat the others and get rid of the little buggers.

I am sorry that he passed away, it never gets easy. Those were lice in the photo you posted you can clearly see that in the pics, you took really good photos showing them. He may have had other parasites as well as they tend to go after the weakest in the bunch and he may have already had a health issue unrelated. It can happen but now that you know he had lice you can easily treat the others and get rid of the little buggers.
Yes he reminded me of prince Aladdin, favorite booger. I buried him, and am 20% into finishing deep cleaning their entire coop, run, etc. I do also think he had other stuff going on as he would sometimes be quiet or sad. At least he isn’t suffering any longer, am now going to be more uptight with what enters and cleaning. Thank you :hugs

Yes he reminded me of prince Aladdin, favorite booger. I buried him, and am 20% into finishing deep cleaning their entire coop, run, etc. I do also think he had other stuff going on as he would sometimes be quiet or sad. At least he isn’t suffering any longer, am now going to be more uptight with what enters and cleaning. Thank you :hugs
I am so sorry he passed. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom