HELP! attack on one of my americanas, hurt wing not sure if broken.

grace..miranda

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
She got attacked yesterday, her wing doesn't look broken but we could see some bone. it looks like the coyote just got a mouthful of her wing. My sister said she put hydrogen peroxide on the wound and she wrapped her in gauze. The hen is drinking but not eating. Her poop looks watery and green. her eyes are clear. i think her nose might be runny. and other then what sounds like wimpering she seems to be acting normal. we kept her inside but I was thinking maybe Ill put the cage we are keeping her in outside so she can hear the flock and so she is more comfortable? It looks like she wants to walk around... does she have any hope of living? What should I do to help her get better? help please this is my first time having chickens!

Last edited:
OK, first thing, take a deep breath.... If the wing is not broken and she is drinking on her own( which is a really good sign.) She has a good chance of pulling through. I would isolate her, give her some water and some special food treats to tempt her and see what happens. If it's not a big gaping hole I would hold off wrapping it until it scabs over.

Sounds like you've made some good decisions. Cleaning the wound and separating the chicken from the others. You'll need to watch for infection. Excessive redness, oozing, etc. There is a product called Blu-Kote, which is available at farm supply stores. It does a good job in helping the healing process. She really needs to eat. Have you tried any treats she likes. Without looking at her I say she has a fair chance for recovery. Assuming your just seeing a little of the white from the bone and not an excessive amount sticking out. Don't put her back until the location has totally healed. Keep us updated at things progress.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I will look for Blu-Kote at my local farm store. And I'll try to get her to eat.

She may also benefit from some pain relief (the whimpering
sad.png
). If you do not think she is bleeding internally from injuries you can give one 81mg baby aspirin (no substitutes unless confirmed okay for chickens) crushed and mixed into each cup of her drinking water. Try to make fresh batch twice daily, but certainly at least once daily. Sometimes pain can make them not eat and drink at they should and a bit of pain relief can make the difference, thus giving them strength to heal.
JJ

grace..miranda :

Thank you very much! I will look for Blu-Kote at my local farm store. And I'll try to get her to eat.

If Neosporin is more avaiable, then you can use that too. Just don't use the kind with Pain medicine added. It's also cheaper than Blu-Kote.​

She has been eating apple when I give it to her but I haven't seen her drink her pain killer water. The wound looks a little better, like its healing. But her wound smells like rotting flesh! What does that mean?? I put some more hydrogen peroxide on her and I also applied some polysporin, which is like neosporin and is an antibiotic ointment. She wants to get out of her cage and walk around which is a good sign right? Thanks for all the help, everyone.

grace..miranda :

She has been eating apple when I give it to her but I haven't seen her drink her pain killer water. The wound looks a little better, like its healing. But her wound smells like rotting flesh! What does that mean??

***jj: Sounds like it's infected. She may need oral or injectable antibiotic if the infection is deep. And if so, it is crucial.

I put some more hydrogen peroxide on her

***jj: Straight HP is oft noted to kill good tissue. I would clean with 1 part betadine/9 parts water as an avian vet had recommened to me.

and I also applied some polysporin, which is like neosporin and is an antibiotic ointment. She wants to get out of her cage and walk around which is a good sign right? Thanks for all the help, everyone.​

I'm sorry to hear this. This actually happen to me couple months ago. Unfortunately it ate one, completely ripped the neck off one so I put her down to take her pain away. My third chicken (Peeper) had the same thing happen that happen to yours. I completely downed it with peroxide. I left it unwrapped and actually put her in the basement by herself to heel. If you are going to leave her outside make sure you spray her something that will keep the ants & flies away
smile.png
Hope this helps:) And actually about a month ago she started laying
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom