Help! Bantam with lump on face!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazy4ChickensNducks, Aug 22, 2019.

1. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    I was moving my bantam flock to the coop and noticed this little lady gas a huge lump on her face, normally with something this bad I would put the chicken down, but she is just too cute! She also had heavy breathing, but that could have been from the stress of moving her, any help appreciated![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. crazy4ChickensNducks

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    unnamed-2.jpg

ValerieJ likes this.
  3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Can you put a warm, damp compress on that and see if you can get the black scab off and see if there is hard puss in there?
    It almost looks like an infected peck wound.
    If you find puss, try squeeze it all out then apply some Vetercin or triple antibiotic ointment to it.
    I would keep her inside in a crate on a clean old towel and monitor her food and water intake and her breathing to make sure this isn't a possible respiratory infection.

ValerieJ likes this.
  4. crazy4ChickensNducks

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    okay, so tommorow i will gently try to rub the scab away then apply poultry wound spray(would that work instead?) and i will closely monitor her, thanks!

ValerieJ likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How does the lump feel—soft and squishy, or firm or hard? A warm compress for about 15 minutes while holding him in your lap on a towel might be helpful to soften the scab and getting out any pus that may be inside the lump. Is his nostril open or blocked? Are there bubbles or crusted drainage around the eye?

6. crazy4ChickensNducks

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    this morning i took her inside and gently worked around the scab with wet q-tips, and tried to carefully take the scab off with my fingers but, no luck, the lump is hard, i think the nostrils are open, and there is a lot of white almost mucusy build up around the eye, but no bubbles. so if i take her in my lap and carefully compress the lump, all the puss will come out even with the scab there? and this scab i very big, and it pops out from the lump quite a bit.

ValerieJ and slordaz like this.
  7. crazy4ChickensNducks

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    on second glance there are 2-3 little bubbles in the corner of her eye

ValerieJ and slordaz like this.
  8. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    I'm sorry. The last I heard of this, with @CarpCharacin it did not end well.

I suspect this is a disease that is either new, or making new rounds. I predict we will see more cases of this soon.

ValerieJ likes this.
  9. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    From what I've seen and deduced so far, I believe this could be a tumor. Possibly cancerous.

Either way, I don't think it is a sinus infection as there was a lack of pus in the previous case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: