Help, bright red skin missing feathers

WeberFarm17

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2018
I diligently dust and spray for mites/lice in all my coops and my birds, so I am at a total loss as to why some of my chickens have bright red skin and missing feathers. I have checked for lice/mites and do not see anything. Some of my feather-footed birds have red feet and have plucked out their feet feathers. I thought scaly leg mites? so I coated the legs in vaseline and permethrin powder. Ive done this a few times and nothing has helped. I have googled... and i don't see a lot about the bright red skin so i am just about at my wits end. My once beautiful flock looks like hell. Someone please help!

Could they be getting pecked by their flock mates???? I used to have 2 aggressive hens that would peck one of my other hen’s bottom until she was bald in that area and had a bright red bottom! I used Blu kote to try to deter the feather pecking as the area healed. Unfortunately, the agression never ceased and I ended up rehoming my aggressors to a farmer that free ranges full time without any issues.

Have you figured out how to cure their red skin issue? I have the same problem as even with ivermectin and Seven dusting and antibodotics, they are bright red skin. What is it???

Back
Top Bottom