Help!!! Broken toe on 2 week old duckling

Jross25

Hatching
May 27, 2018
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hello,
I have a 2 week old baby Moscovy duckling that was bitten in the foot by a turtle. I believe the foot to be broken because the middle toe is swollen. He is still putting some weight on it but is keeping it curled underneath him when laying down. Unfortunately, I cannot take him/her to a vet as Moscovy ducks are considered an invasive species and will be euthanized. He’s still wanting to eat and drink, bright alert and responsive so I don’t want to give up on him just yet. I have never taken care of ducks before so I’m unsure of what to do. Thank you!

You could try soaking the foot in epsom salts to help bring the swelling down.

If you do want to take him to a vet, just take him to an avian vet and tell them that he's yours - muscovies are a domestic species so people keep them as pets all the time. They won't put him down just for being a domestic farm animal. Just say you raise them for meat and you're in the clear.

This is in the US - not sure if you're in another country.

You could try soaking the foot in epsom salts to help bring the swelling down.

If you do want to take him to a vet, just take him to an avian vet and tell them that he's yours - muscovies are a domestic species so people keep them as pets all the time. They won't put him down just for being a domestic farm animal. Just say you raise them for meat and you're in the clear.

This is in the US - not sure if you're in another country.
Thank you I’ll give that a try. And yes I am in the US.

Is there anything that I could give him for pain that is OTC?

Yes, aspirin. You can dissolve five 5-grain tablets of aspirin in a gallon of water and offer that to him free choice.

Or, you can mix one five grain tablet in 30 mLs of water and give it directly at a rate of 0.5 mLs per kg three times a day.

Thank you so much for everyone’s help. The duckling is currently resting and the swelling seems to have gone down.

Back
Top Bottom