HELP! broody died eggs are dying

Pics
I wish I'd seen this earlier. I live about an hour away and have a incubator, heatlamp, thermometer etc. I think you have had massively bad luck with your broody dieing so close to hatch. You have had some great advice, if not a bit too much overload, but you've done all you can and all you can do now is wait and hope. I really hope it goes better than expected. What chicks are you hatching?

When chicks get ready to hatch they wiggle and giggle inside egg to maneuver themselves and egg into best position to hatch.When you pick the egg and put it back down it may put chick in position where it's harder to hatch or fluid in egg moves and causes chick to drown before it can hatch.I can't emphasize how important it is to leave eggs alone when it gets close to hatching time

I heard a chick peep in the morning about 10am now its silent. No noises. No cracking of the shells either. Guess i might have to be more patient huh

The mites thing sucks but it is what it is.Mites won't kill chick in a day.If you wait 24 hours after they hatch then treat them for mites they will be fine.When they first hatch chicks are exhausted and weak they don't need to rolling around in more powder breathing it getting it in there eyes.Let them rest and build up strength for 24hrs.Then you can put powder,spray them or use whatever mite treatment you have available to kill mites.

Most of the mites have gone. We got rid of them. So even if the chicks hatch i can always powder them a bit but i dont think its a problem now

I just spent a lot of time examining this picture... am I supposed to be seeing a pip somewhere? I'm really anxious for this to turn out well for you!

Ahh i know!! Theres no pip yet.. from what i can see. I definilty heard a chick peep though. Is it normal for them to be extremely quiet now? Havent got a pip either yet from it..its almost 24 hours since i heard it 6pm last night.

I wish I'd seen this earlier. I live about an hour away and have a incubator, heatlamp, thermometer etc. I think you have had massively bad luck with your broody dieing so close to hatch. You have had some great advice, if not a bit too much overload, but you've done all you can and all you can do now is wait and hope. I really hope it goes better than expected. What chicks are you hatching?

Aww thats too nice of you!

Its a bit late now but hopefully you never know!
The chicks are a variety of red rhodes or other types. Im not sure exactly as i got the eggs from a friend. But they are the hardy type chicks.

I definilty heard a chick peep though. Is it normal for them to be extremely quiet now?
That peeping is just to get you going, then they are quiet to drive you nuts. :D

.its almost 24 hours since i heard it 6pm last night.
Hard to know when to 'help'....maybe a hole drilled, what's it called @WVduckchick ?

Guess i might have to be more patient huh
Chickens will teach you patience....or not!

That peeping is just to get you going, then they are quiet to drive you nuts. :D

Hard to know when to 'help'....maybe a hole drilled, what's it called @WVduckchick ?

Chickens will teach you patience....or not!

Hahaha im definilty trying my best not to tap on them or touch them. Though i do talk to them if i check on them.

My other broodies usually did all the work so this is new to me. Waiting for a chick to hatch...

Most of the mites have gone. We got rid of them. So even if the chicks hatch i can always powder them a bit but i dont think its a problem now
AWESOME.
I am glad you got rid of the mites.
Good job.
Don't forget to treat the coop and other birds for mites asap.
I'm betting that is what sucked the life out of the broody...the mites.

Back
Top Bottom