Help! Broody hatched a late chick, but momma isn't sitting on it and it's wet.

Jmcoe

In the Brooder
May 4, 2016
What do I do?do I hope she goes back to chick, do I bring it into house and warm it with a heating pad...or my hands? I hate to lose this one. She hatched four on day 21 and this one on day 24. Four or five more eggs in the nest. She was sitting until I came out mid morning and found this little wet chick. Please help, I don't want to wait too long!
Thank you!

What do I do?do I hope she goes back to chick, do I bring it into house and warm it with a heating pad...or my hands? I hate to lose this one. She hatched four on day 21 and this one on day 24. Four or five more eggs in the nest. She was sitting until I came out mid morning and found this little wet chick. Please help, I don't want to wait too long!
Thank you!
I would get it under a light or on heat until it fluffs up and becomes active and is eating. Then I would see if momma would accept it back with the rest.

Thank you for your help. I called our local wilco and got the same advice. I brought her in and she's on a heating pad and fluffing up nicely. She's actively peeping and trying to stand. I am so thrilled, I think she might make it! Will put her back under mama tonight. When I first saw hWe, I thought she was already dead. Then, when I picked her up she was cold. So happy she's perked up. Thanks again for your input.

Thank you for your help. I called our local wilco and got the same advice. I brought her in and she's on a heating pad and fluffing up nicely. She's actively peeping and trying to stand. I am so thrilled, I think she might make it! Will put her back under mama tonight. When I first saw hWe, I thought she was already dead. Then, when I picked her up she was cold. So happy she's perked up. Thanks again for your input.
That's good!

Back
Top Bottom