HELP! Bumblefoot on hen!

I have been fighting bumble foot in 2 of the hens I purchased, we're on day 26. About 4 days ago a treatment i read about/ and asked advice i came in and has really made a huge difference. tricide-neo,https://www.pondrx.com/products/16166.html -ordered it from here. I have soaked, 5 Min's in plain hot warm to remove any dirt and hopefully poo in that water. In a 5 quart ice cream bucket with a lid-- i mixed the tricide-neo, 11/4 scant teaspoon per Quart, soak 7 Min's a day-if the solution is kept clean it's good for 7 days the discard and mix for the next 7 days.We are on day four and I can't believe the difference. The red lines have gone and the edges of the wound are showing a change in color even the scabs themselves look so much improved. The treatment is around $35.00 for 22 grams, but can be broken down into 4 treatments-which is more than enough for 2 hens, I also am giving penicillin 1/2cc each day switch sides of the breast, triple antibiotic and cover with gauze and vet wrap--Do not pull on the vet wrap, just gently smooth over wound and it will stick to its self. I used a four inch long piece cut into 3 strips, works like a charm.
You MUST wear protective clothing and eye protection when using the tricide-neo, I look really silly with blue googles and blue gloves, holding a chicken,
lau.gif
Did the Tricide Neo really work for you? I tried it also on my girl. I am on month number 6 :). I don't know if it worked or not. Although the oozing stopped shortly there after using it. The pad looked a ton better after wards. However I had started her on Baytril injections at the time so I don't know which worked and when. I only had a weeks worth of the Tricide Neo. I wished I had bought the larger size, but wanted to try it first.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied, her swelling is down a lot today! Is there a link online where I can buy VetWrap? Sylvia seems to think that the gauze we've been using is very tasty...
gig.gif
barnie.gif
roll.png

The tri-cide-neo is really the easiest treatment and does work. The last time I used it I had lost my directions but soaked twice a day for 10 minutes and for 1 week. I did wrap the foot in just vetwrap to keep clean but that is it. I did not do anything else other that pull off the scab at day one. After treatment it did not look healed but I left it and it finished healing on its own over the next 2 weeks and the core worked its way out. Her foot is clear now and has been for over a month. You must remember to use only distilled water to mix the powder or it will not work. I have used this treatment successfully on 3 hens now, it is less stressfull on them and you. I mixed mine in a small batch in a bowl and covered it after each use.

When you buy the tricide-neo it comes in 22 gram packet, to be mixed with 1 gallon of water. Well, I have just a few hens so thats a huge and expensive waste. I used 1/4 a packet, which comes to 1 teaspoon plus a scant 1/4 teaspoon power to 1 quart of distilled water. I put it into a covered container(remember it will last mixed 1 week), that only the feet would fit into, in my case a 5 quart ice cream container. This keeps any chicken from pooing into the water, their butts hang over the edge( if the solution gets fouled it must be thrown out). Keep doing the PenC, 1/2 cc, I do a prebath soak warm water soak 5 mintues, dry the feet and feathers, then set into the tricide-neo for 7-10 Min's, dry, apply triple antibiotic , cover in gauze, cover that in vet wrap(remember don't pull the vet wrap!, smooth only.) I haven't made it to the get well stage, yet. But the difference after 3 days is outstanding and now I think the hens are winning. I will be discarding the container and only using the metal measuring spoons for chicken meds. This stuff could cause major problem if injested.

Last edited:
hi i am pretty new in keeping hen and have noticed my girls are showing signs of bumblefoot i phoned my local vet who thinks i should have them kulled.not an option as they are pets i dont think its that bad most of them only have one black scab and others have tiny speckals can any one tell me where i can buy tricide neo asap.i have been opening the scabs and cleaning with iodine and salt water with added iodine in it to keep it from spreading.i think the vet has lost the plot or does not have a clue how to treat it.many thanks

Google tricide neo, that way you can read about how to use it and check prices-- MUST use DISTILLED Water in a covered container lasts for 1 week. I ordered the smallest size and reduced every thing for 1 quart. I'm retreating 1 hen starting this weekend. I would give long lasting pencillin shots (tsc and 22 gauge needles) daily for the next 2 weeks, daily/ to twice daily soaks, or 1 daily soak and 1 time a day spray on the treatment, remove the scab for treatment and I would read the other treatments posted in BYC for the treatment thats works best for you, and how to prevent it in the future. The chickens will object to being handled but don't even flinch when getting an injection.

So, have you started treatment yet? we wore gloves because most of the time it's a staph. infection. Do not allow the scab to reform, pus in a chicken is solid. I believe that's all the surprises I learned!

hi the vet gave me iodine and said to keep soaking the feet and pulling the scab off. then put iodine into the wound as iodine kills all bacteria instantly if no improvement he will give me prescribed treatment dont know why he could not just give me something to start now to go along with the foot wash.some of the scabs are getting smaller tho.i just hope it works before it starts spreading.

Back
Top Bottom