HELP! Chicken attacked emergency wound

Thank you SO much. This was so helpful. God bless and am so glad to hear your bird is doing great and all healed. Praying mine has the same turnout. I will try my best.
You are welcome. I pray that God gives you discernment and guidance as you care for your hen. Sorry to read about her broken beak. I hope it is a minor fracture and heals on its own. I have no experience with this, but I know their are threads on here dealing with broken beaks. Use the search bar. Also @Eggcessive gave great advice on cleaning her nostrils, keeping her calm, treating for shock and next steps.

Last edited:
Can you see anything inside her beak? I would try to keep her quiet, and treat for shock. Dim, quiet, room, not disturbed, offer sugar water or fluids when better.
Been offering sugar water in a bowl and a syringe but she does not want to drink. It might be hard for her to drink with her beak. I’m not sure.

Been offering sugar water in a bowl and a syringe but she does not want to drink. It might be hard for her to drink with her beak. I’m not sure.
My birds love watermelon. Perhaps some of the juice of watermelon might entice her a little bit? Do you have a poultry vet available to you who is able/willing to get her in to look at her beak?

My birds love watermelon. Perhaps some of the juice of watermelon might entice her a little bit? Do you have a poultry vet available to you who is able/willing to get her in to look at her beak?
I’ve called at least 5 local vets and none see chickens. Weird bc I’m in a Rural farming area. I will keep calling tomorrow to hopefully find someone.

I’ve called at least 5 local vets and none see chickens. Weird bc I’m in a Rural farming area. I will keep calling tomorrow to hopefully find someone.
I am sorry. Try a farm vet, they are the only ones in my area who even come close to touching chickens and even then hesitantly. We are rural too.

I will look and call in the morning. Just cleaned her wounds again and I put a little neosporin where I could. I hate to touch that big open gash with the ointment but I know it’ll help. Ugh I hope she makes it.
Yes, the ointment will keep the bacteria at bay and the ointment base will keep the wound moist. Both will help the healing process.

Yes, the ointment will keep the bacteria at bay and the ointment base will keep the wound moist. Both will help the healing process.
Just an update/ she’s made it and seems to be going strong! Has been drinking here and there and finally just got her to eat some food. Thank you all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom