Help!chicken with pale face and comb and yellow poop!please help!

There are a ton of resources on here, just search for egg bound. I remember reading about putting on gloves, using some vaseline and trying to feel for an egg in her vent. Making her a warm bath to relax, etc.

Hi,,

First rule with chickens and I do not say this to worry you but to prepare you. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS HOPELESS.

When you notice a chicken is sick, it is worse than you think. Chickens are prey animals. they have evolved a unbelievable resistance to pain and ignoring illness. If they were like us and sniffled at every ache and pain they would be picked off and eaten immediately. The predators go for those that show a sign of weakness.

There the ugly part is done. When I am not sure what is wrong I go all out. I isolate the bird. I have 2 ICU beds set up for my birds. I seldom use them, but I do not hesitate too. If it is bad you do not want to spread it.

Second, from the pictures she looks fine to me, but it is your bird you would know better. Birds can get little illnesses like humans, it might have a 24 hour bug, we can hope.

That said, just because you gave her electrolytes does not mean she is worm or gut parasite free. A dose of Wasine is not going to kill her ( I might have spelled that right, but I bet not.)

Ice cubes in her water is a great idea. Even a bath in chilly water if she feels hot. Remember she runs around 104-104 all the time. What treats have you given her recently she was not use too? What you eat can affect your poop. Which is why I avoid the Mexican stuff I love so much, at my advanced age it is not good. Chickens can be like that too,

Is shy laying still? Is her abdomen hard? Is her crop full or empty? If it is full check it again in 10 hours. Is it empty then?

Yogurt might help the probiotics may have left her for some reason. Is she going broody? When was she last broody?

If you want to give here and antibiotic do so, BUT remember, you might be making an antibiotic bug by doing so that will kill many other birds.

Give he egg yolk if she is weak. I picked up one of mine early this morning and her crop was full. It surprised me, but it is so hot and humid here now they eat fast early so they can hide in the shade the rest the day.

Look for cuts or open sores under her feathers and feet bottoms maybe it is an infection then antibiotics would help.

I am sorry I cannot be more help a picture is not much to go on. Sometimes they just have runny poop.

I hope she gets better. Help her, be comfortable and try whatever you can, Keep the rest safe too..

Also know sometimes it is a congenital problem you can do nothing about. Go easy on yourself.

BTW If it is an impacted egg, Do your best but do not make it worse by trying to get your whole arm in there. I have huge hands so that kind of stuff is up to my wife. Entering the canal can bring in infection. So careful.

Good luck, maybe she will be herself tomorrow.

Hi there

I am really sorry to hear your hen isn't well. I am by no means an expert at all and that is testament to the fact I don't think your hen's comb looks pale. But the fact you're on here, sharing what you believe to be an issue makes me think you simply need reassurance to go ahead and trust your own intuition as you know your hens, and you know their vitality.

Yellow poop could be a sign of coccidia or worms or egg yolk peritonitis or other issues. Check out the forum / google for possible issues and remedies as you may spot a few other symptoms along the way and these might prove your theory.

I've recently gone through something where two of my hens were laying internally and although they didn't have yellow poops, the fact your girl isn't laying makes me think it might have something to do with her reproductive tract but it may not.

I completely understand your concern about not wishing to distress your hen anymore than she might already be, but if I may, I think sometimes we simply have to trust our own gut and just trust that and if you believe something is wrong, something is wrong and only you can help her, as she is unable to help herself. And although I don't know whether your hen is laying internally or not, I'm sure that a warm bath can't hurt.

My suggestion is to run a luke warm bath into a basin and add epsom salts if you have some? If not, perhaps a luke warm bath on its own. Place her gently into the sink of warm water and hold her in place so she doesn't flap around and hopefully she will just relax her body her into it. If you can, allow her at least 20 mins to relax and gently rub her abdomen while she is in there.

Gently pat her her dry with a towel and keep her as warm as possible until she decides she is ready to join the flock again.

Place her into a box with nesting material you use in the coop and food and water. When she is strong enough, she will protest and make known she wants to rejoin the flock.

She may pass a few shell-less eggs. If not, repeat the warm bath procedure again until she does. If you can stay with her, as you would any other pet, the better. They too need comfort and reassurance when they're not feeling well.

My next suggestion is to give her whatever healthy food she will take in. It's so important for them to eat to keep the eggs and poop passing through unimpeded so if she isn't eating her normal food, try other things - lots of suggestions online as every hen is different. And water, she needs water the same way humans do.

I don't know about trying to feel for eggs as others have suggested although this may be the best option for her, I just have no experience of it so cannot offer input, but my final advice would be to see your local vet.

Her issues could be egg bound, internal laying, worms or something completely different and the way you treat them all is quite different. But I'm just sharing my experience in the hope it helps your hen.

Post back if there is no change and hopefully others will have some input too.

Best wishes to you and your hen for a speedy recovery,

Amanda

Hi there

I am really sorry to hear your hen isn't well. I am by no means an expert at all and that is testament to the fact I don't think your hen's comb looks pale. But the fact you're on here, sharing what you believe to be an issue makes me think you simply need reassurance to go ahead and trust your own intuition as you know your hens, and you know their vitality.

Yellow poop could be a sign of coccidia or worms or egg yolk peritonitis or other issues. Check out the forum / google for possible issues and remedies as you may spot a few other symptoms along the way and these might prove your theory.

I've recently gone through something where two of my hens were laying internally and although they didn't have yellow poops, the fact your girl isn't laying makes me think it might have something to do with her reproductive tract but it may not.

I completely understand your concern about not wishing to distress your hen anymore than she might already be, but if I may, I think sometimes we simply have to trust our own gut and just trust that and if you believe something is wrong, something is wrong and only you can help her, as she is unable to help herself. And although I don't know whether your hen is laying internally or not, I'm sure that a warm bath can't hurt.

My suggestion is to run a luke warm bath into a basin and add epsom salts if you have some? If not, perhaps a luke warm bath on its own. Place her gently into the sink of warm water and hold her in place so she doesn't flap around and hopefully she will just relax her body her into it. If you can, allow her at least 20 mins to relax and gently rub her abdomen while she is in there.

Gently pat her her dry with a towel and keep her as warm as possible until she decides she is ready to join the flock again.

Place her into a box with nesting material you use in the coop and food and water. When she is strong enough, she will protest and make known she wants to rejoin the flock.

She may pass a few shell-less eggs. If not, repeat the warm bath procedure again until she does. If you can stay with her, as you would any other pet, the better. They too need comfort and reassurance when they're not feeling well.

My next suggestion is to give her whatever healthy food she will take in. It's so important for them to eat to keep the eggs and poop passing through unimpeded so if she isn't eating her normal food, try other things - lots of suggestions online as every hen is different. And water, she needs water the same way humans do.

I don't know about trying to feel for eggs as others have suggested although this may be the best option for her, I just have no experience of it so cannot offer input, but my final advice would be to see your local vet.

Her issues could be egg bound, internal laying, worms or something completely different and the way you treat them all is quite different. But I'm just sharing my experience in the hope it helps your hen.

Post back if there is no change and hopefully others will have some input too.

Best wishes to you and your hen for a speedy recovery,

Amanda

well put, good suggestions.

Thank you all!shes seems so much better!i didn't do anything!i just kept a eye on her,she's aok!

Yeaaaah! Thank you for the update. Duluthralphie really is the best in my book!! I'm glad he posted his opinions as they helped to calm me down too! AND I learn new stuff as well!!
yippiechickie.gif
bow.gif

Last edited:
Oh, well thank you :) This site has certainly helped me through a fair few issues so I thought I'd share my own experiences to hopefully help others too.

Back
Top Bottom