Help choosing a breed

BrandyLynn13

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2017
Hello! I'm trying to decide which breed to choose! I've never raised chickens before, but I'm a veterinary technician so I have experience with chickens. I'm looking for a breed that is docile / kid friendly (I have an 8 year old daughter), that is a good layer, and that is pretty to look at. Pretty eggs would be a bonus, but I'm not too picky. I've been looking at wyandottes, marans, and orpingtons. Every website I look at tells me something a little bit different about each breed. I don't plan to free range, but might eventually when I'm more comfortable with them. We would like to raise them from chicks. Any suggestions? I'm in central Oklahoma so our summers get pretty hot and winters are usually pretty mild, but can get below freezing for short periods.

Thanks!
Brandy

Hello! I'm trying to decide which breed to choose! I've never raised chickens before, but I'm a veterinary technician so I have experience with chickens. I'm looking for a breed that is docile / kid friendly (I have an 8 year old daughter), that is a good layer, and that is pretty to look at. Pretty eggs would be a bonus, but I'm not too picky. I've been looking at wyandottes, marans, and orpingtons. Every website I look at tells me something a little bit different about each breed. I don't plan to free range, but might eventually when I'm more comfortable with them. We would like to raise them from chicks. Any suggestions? I'm in central Oklahoma so our summers get pretty hot and winters are usually pretty mild, but can get below freezing for short periods.

Thanks!
Brandy
Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining!

I've heard of BO's getting mean when older. I am not sure about Marans and Wyandottes, though. Do you have a hatchery near you?

I have a Rhode Island Red, which is a good layer, and starts laying really early. Mine started laying before four months. My silkie is very pretty, very soft, and I have heard they are one of the best for kids. The other chickens respect her enough to not give her problems, even though she is much smaller.

I have orpingtons and RIRs for eggs. I've handled them from chicks..i think the orpingtons are sweeter. I also just got some bramahs...you might want to look at them...i think they r really good natured.

Do you know which chickens are great in New Mexico weather? :)
You are best to stick with Mediterranean breeds that were developed to handle extreme heat. They have big floppy single combs. They are also the slimmer bodied hens that have the best feed conversion rate (less feed consumed per egg produced). Leghorns are the biggest of this group but the can be flighty and they are white egg layers. For some brown egg layers again the single combs should do better. My barred rocks and australorps are good consistent summer layers (but my worst temps are only 90-100*). I have to have some colored eggs so EEs are a must. They tend to have smaller bodies so that will help. The super fluffy meaty oriental breeds will survive miserable temps but they won't be happy and production will suffer. They key to keeping any hen producing in the worst part of summer is tons of shade and ventilation. Go with an aviary style coop instead of a walled structure that will hold heat. Have shade cloth, trees, bushes or vines shading the "coop" and run. Lots of waterm to drink and some shallow feed pans filled with more water to wade in helps too.

You are best to stick with Mediterranean breeds that were developed to handle extreme heat. They have big floppy single combs. They are also the slimmer bodied hens that have the best feed conversion rate (less feed consumed per egg produced). Leghorns are the biggest of this group but the can be flighty and they are white egg layers. For some brown egg layers again the single combs should do better. My barred rocks and australorps are good consistent summer layers (but my worst temps are only 90-100*). I have to have some colored eggs so EEs are a must. They tend to have smaller bodies so that will help. The super fluffy meaty oriental breeds will survive miserable temps but they won't be happy and production will suffer. They key to keeping any hen producing in the worst part of summer is tons of shade and ventilation. Go with an aviary style coop instead of a walled structure that will hold heat. Have shade cloth, trees, bushes or vines shading the "coop" and run. Lots of waterm to drink and some shallow feed pans filled with more water to wade in helps too.

The hottest it's gotten here lately has been 94*. I like the idea of Leghorns, Barred Rocks, and Australorps... but what do you mean the Leghorns are flighty? They are nervous around humans? What are EEs... Oh, easter eggers. Lol. Got it. I don't know the best place to get EEs... Also, If I go into TSC, I wouldn't know which breed the chicks are.... so I'd have to order them on the TSC website, and pick them up. Thank you for the shade and water advice! I really appreciate it!! :D

The hottest it's gotten here lately has been 94*. I like the idea of Leghorns, Barred Rocks, and Australorps... but what do you mean the Leghorns are flighty? They are nervous around humans? What are EEs... Oh, easter eggers. Lol. Got it. I don't know the best place to get EEs... Also, If I go into TSC, I wouldn't know which breed the chicks are.... so I'd have to order them on the TSC website, and pick them up. Thank you for the shade and water advice! I really appreciate it!! :D

You are in the mountains of northern New Mexico. How cold does it get there? Leghorns get frostbite on their combs in very cold weather. Leghorns are flighty, or skittish around people. But Leghorns are the best at laying eggs.

A very good breed that handles hot and cold weather well and is one of the best at laying brown eggs is the Rhode Island red.

You can order from a hatchery and then pick them up at your local post office.

Privett Hatchery is located in New Mexico. www.privetthatchery.com

Thanks!
Brandy

The Orpington is friendly and lays pretty well, but they are not great in the heat.

Easter Eggers are hardy in the heat, are friendly, and lay well. Easter Eggers are not a breed. It is the name given to chickens that look like Ameraucana but may not meet the breed standard. They lay blue, green, and sometimes pink eggs. They also come in a variety of feather colors.

You can probably find Easter Eggers locally. You can look on Craigslist.org or you can order from a hatchery. Cacklehatchery.com in Missouri is good.

Back
Top Bottom