HELP!!! COOP NOT BIG ENOUGH!!!

Pics

Loudawg11

Chirping
Apr 29, 2017
Andover MA
My Coop
My Coop
I was looking at the adult sizes of my 5 buff Orpington pullets and I was shocked to find they can grow to be 12 inches tall and very large! I measured my coop and looked at them all squished in there yelling at me that they were cramped in there and knew I needed to expand it. Building an extension free hand is not plausible in my situation so I need to buy some kind of chicken coop house that is cheaper than $150 but is big enough to add a good amount of space and has at least 1 nesting box but 2 would be even better. It should come disassembled to be put back together (like any kind of mailed coop) and it should be delivered in under 7 days. I am really desperate here and would appreciate any finds! If you have any other Ideas on a better way to expand my coop please reply too. Below is a picture of the coop house in need of expansion.

Attachments

• IMG_7063.JPG
    IMG_7063.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 54
Newbie at this. All the reviews on pre-made coops I read said consistently they were too small and flimsy. Not solid enough for many predators. Building and designing my own with no building experience and limited tools to fit what I need. I'm working on the pre-lims to build: leveling the ground and doing some pre-build cutting and painting prep. Hope to begin the build this weekend. I've had coons invade my attic so very predator cautious.

I built my own coop. It was a lot more cost efficient, and we built it as the chickens grew. I have 12 buff Orpingtons. They are not fully grown yet, but we already have our plans for completion as they mature. We plan on making the run level with the top of the coop, and adding 2-3 nesting boxes on each side. We'll probably build them low leaving room for roosts above

Attachments

• WP_20170519_001.jpg
    WP_20170519_001.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 11
I was looking at the adult sizes of my 5 buff Orpington pullets and I was shocked to find they can grow to be 12 inches tall and very large! I measured my coop and looked at them all squished in there yelling at me that they were cramped in there and knew I needed to expand it. Building an extension free hand is not plausible in my situation so I need to buy some kind of chicken coop house that is cheaper than $150 but is big enough to add a good amount of space and has at least 1 nesting box but 2 would be even better. It should come disassembled to be put back together (like any kind of mailed coop) and it should be delivered in under 7 days. I am really desperate here and would appreciate any finds! If you have any other Ideas on a better way to expand my coop please reply too. Below is a picture of the coop house in need of expansion.

Honestly if you have local Amish, you may want to get a quote from them. That's what I did. I am getting a large coop for what I think is a great price. I am getting a much larger coop than what you are looking for but I have a lot more birds. I have 15 birds and am getting a 9x6 walk in coop with two windows for $700, and it will last forever.

Oh no! Retail chicken coops tend to be very expensive - even the cheap ones, so those are probably going to be out of the question. Look on your local classifieds website such as Craigslist and see if there are any on there. I myself have a coop (and run) for sale - it is good for about six chickens and has two nesting boxes. I'd sell it for $100. Maybe for now just slap a few pieces of plywood together to form a hod-podge coop and then work on buying or even building one in the future. If that won't work, and if you can't find any others for sale within reason, you may have to consider selling a few if not all of them. Either way, they will be happier and you less stressed. I wish you the best of luck on your chicken adventures and I hope this helps! :D

Back
Top Bottom