HELP! Critical! Fox Attack!

lexinpatch

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Our chicken Baby was attacked by a fox 2-3 hours ago. We thought she was taken, but about 10 mins ago we heard squawking around the chicken coop and ran outside. A fox ran away and we looked around. We saw Baby, our young (but laying) white leghorn stumbling through the lawn. We picked her up and ran inside. We immediatly put her in a warm, dry place and began to check her out. Many feathers along her neck and the base of her tail were pulled out. Those patches are raw and bloody, especially on her neck. On the underside of her neck all of the skin was pulled off but the vain was *luckily* okay. It looks like the fox tried to bite her but missed. Is there anything that we should do? Or is rest the best? Thanks!

PS: We are worried about the exposed vein.

We also think her oil gland might have been pulled out... Would that harm them at all? *Is freaking out.*

I think you should keep her warm and dry.Clean her wounds well with warm soap and water rinse well,treat with antibiotic oint.feeding her well give vit.in her water baby vit or the chick electrolytes little sugar water acv too.My showgirl got her neck tore open by the roos huge skin open area almost all of her neck lots of blood and she healed up great.

So sorry !
hugs.gif

Wish I had some advise for you .... All I can say is dry and warm right now to help her relax and help her from not going into shock any worse than she probably is. Maybe some bandages and antibiotic cream on the missing skin area and the areas where she is raw. Gause and vet wrap to hold it on.

Not sure how this one will work out for you. Keep it in for a while. Make sure she drinks and gets some food. I would make sure the wound is as clean as possible. You may want to try some blue cote if it isn't too bad. Give her some time and see how she does. I can't give you any advice on the gland though. Lets hope time and will be in her favor.

Thanks all!
smile.png
For now we're just going to let her rest for now... We'll post if anything happens!

We are going to post some pics... And we're trying to get a video up on youtube.

she is better today! *so happy* and she is eating and drinking again!!! but she looks really bad!!! we will post pics when i get my camra to work.

Back
Top Bottom