Help! did we kill the chicks??

Michelle in NM

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2017
I've had a hen sitting on eggs 19 days. She's in a high nesting box so last night we made one closer to the ground and moved her. When I went to check on her this morning she was off the eggs and the eggs were cold. I put the eggs back in her original roost. She may have been off them for 2-3 hours.

And, on the chance they hatch, how can I move them so they don't hurt themselves when they jump out of the nesting box after they hatch. There is no way they will be able to get back up there either. It's about 3' off the ground. This is a mean hen who won't let me near her or the eggs.

I don't know if the chicks are okay, try holding the egg to see if you feel any movement or listening to them. Hens are very picky about their nests so she probably just didn't like it when you moved her to a different nest.
Also could you put something that blocks them from falling out of the nest?

I've had a hen sitting on eggs 19 days. She's in a high nesting box so last night we made one closer to the ground and moved her. When I went to check on her this morning she was off the eggs and the eggs were cold. I put the eggs back in her original roost. She may have been off them for 2-3 hours.

And, on the chance they hatch, how can I move them so they don't hurt themselves when they jump out of the nesting box after they hatch. There is no way they will be able to get back up there either. It's about 3' off the ground. This is a mean hen who won't let me near her or the eggs.
That is not long enough to kill them at that age.

Hoping for a good hatch!

Just a couple hours usually won't stop them from hatching, but it also depends on the temp. I'd get her back on the eggs and let her finish hatching them off. Cut a little board about 8 inches high and block the front of the nest with it. They won't be able to jump it for several days and by then, all the eggs that will hatch will have hatched and you can move them all to the lower nest then.
Good luck!

Agreed! A few hours shouldn’t hurt them. Hopefully you can block her and the chicks in, so they can’t fall out. Shouldn’t take a week or so, and she’ll be able to take them out. Chicks can learn to climb a ladder pretty darn quick. Just be there at night to make sure they all got up.

Agree with the other comments, they should still be viable. But moving broodys is always hard, you will definitely have to wait until most of the eggs have hatched, then she will be happy to move with her chicks, just make sure you block them in so they can't fall out in the meantime.
Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom